Default Hobbyists love bees; not too much work

Bee keeper Allen Dovico, who raises bees to collect honey and is growing his colonies, shows off a frame where the bees have started to cap off the honey combs Wednesday afternoon May 29, 2013. He averages about 90 pounds of honey from each hive in about 4-6 weeks.
    http://www.ocala.com/article/2013052...uch-work&tc=ar
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: Hobbyists love bees; not too much work

Learned two new things with this article, honeybees travel 5 miles from their hive and newly hatched bees can instantly become foragers. Hmmm....
    "Flying as far as five miles from their hive in Hagle's home in northeast Ocala, the bees pollinate thousands of flowering plants, vegetable gardens and fruit trees in the residential area."
    "It takes about 21 days for a larvae to emerge as either a drone, which mates with the queen; a nurse bee, which cares for larvae; or a worker bee, which finds nectar."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbees View Post
    Learned two new things with this article, honeybees travel 5 miles from their hive and newly hatched bees can instantly become foragers. Hmmm....
    "Flying as far as five miles from their hive in Hagle's home in northeast Ocala, the bees pollinate thousands of flowering plants, vegetable gardens and fruit trees in the residential area."
    5 miles is about twice as far as my experience would indicate... more like 2 miles. I believe a virgin queen can take a pretty long trip... so maybe that is what they are referencing.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

The pic in the article is a capped off brood comb.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Honey View Post
    The pic in the article is a capped off brood comb.
    hahaha yeah i noticed that too. i looked at the picture with my wife and we were both like .....uhhhhhhh i hope he doesnt extract that for his honey ....ewwwwww ! hahaha

The article is posted and drawing comments from people interested in bees, jump in and educate some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbees View Post
    The average is 2 miles, but they can indeed go further depending on their needs.

Far as newly hatched bees being foragers, from my understanding that's not how it works. Newly hatched bees spend about 2 weeks in hive before they forage, of that time it's spent drawing comb and tending to things in hive.

I'll see if I can cite it later if I can dig up where it came from. Some timeline of their existence or something that I'd found.

Also, pretty sure they're using "honey comb" as a generalized term, though it is misleading and incorrect for those who know.

Darkwolf