Default Serious downturn

Spring hit early here with record warm weather and swarms. Just about everything got off to a great start and swarms hit a month early. I made up 4 queens from a swarmed hive plus let them have a few to raise their own queen. Caught 2 of my own swarms and trapped another. Ran out of gear, opened 3 new small yards.
    And one month later…Captured swarm appears to have starved out, one swarmed hive did not requeen, the adjacent hive is queenless (used 2/4 of my mated queens. My checkerboard experiment (by the book WW) got off to a really poor start was finally booming but looks like the queen is failing and very little brood and 2 supercedure cells, they appear to have eaten the top two full shallows! Looks like I lost one of my mated queens in the Castle.
    I am afraid to go check the other two yards! I think every hive raised so much brood that when the spring flow is over they are starving out? My fear is that I am spreading disease through all my hives and yards.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Default Re: Serious downturn

Each yard can be different, different flowers and moisture can give different results in different yards. Maybe your other two yards are doing better. Yes, especially Italians, will brood up all the early spring flow and then get set back with low flows before the summer flows (if you have any) get started.

I've gotten to where I raise cells from and replace my swarm queens, I've had too many fail near end of spring and into early summer, and it messes with my honey crop. I've got one swarm hive here now, with three daughters in nucs from it, getting ready to go on mating flights next week.

Thanks Ray. I checked the other two yards and was disappointed. I would not say they went backwards but they are not expanding. I am hoping they are just making bees and not wax. Since both at one location are swarms I figure we have had a brood break and a break in wax makers. I have a solid 8 frames of bees in each and have pulled two frames of brood to the upper box. In the boxes I had already done it there was no change.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Well, give them time. It's still early in the year, hopefully you'll have some good summer flows. It sounds like you are setting up their boxes in a nice way with frame placements, and there is a good solid box of bees on the bottom. Give them some time, maybe the weather will be more cooperative now as we are coming to the end of spring.