Thread: bee lift

Default bee lift

Finished building a hive lift for double hive pallets, so far it seems to work, have made a few design changes from original plans but it does work. I am using it on a trailer as you can see, the swivel is an axel from a 4by4 half ton the knuckle is made of two 1" bearings. And everything is manual leveling. Ian S i really like your machine but i have only 28 hives and only plan 100 or so , Thanks for all the help and emails Ian. Here it is
    lift1.jpg liftlevel.jpg

Default Re: bee lift

wow, nice job! Who needs to buy when you can build something like that! Do you know your max lift capacity?

make up a video and post it on YouTube, Id like to see it in action. How do you level it?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Beautiful! That is EXACTLY what I need! What is your reach? What dimensions are the steel? Share please?

And do you know how much it will lift yet?

It reaches 14 feet, upright is 7" by1/4 round, boom is 2 by 4 by 1/4 square tubing and the outriggers are 4by4 square stock with 3by 3 inside. i havent really tested the lift yet did pick up 300 lb with it and it moved around very easily. I think the bearings are the key, main swivel is a rear axel from a 4by4 and the elbow is two one inch bearings moves very smooth but will drop 3" with that much weight on it. can't wait to really try it out.

Looks great mate! A video of it in action would be super!

Ben

That looks nice. I had a small winch like that hooked to a boom I made for lifting 1/8" steel plate in the shop. I broke the cable. Have you thought about deadheading the terminal end of the cable back into the boom arm and putting a pulley at the top of your fork system? That would double the lifting capacity, reducing the load on the cable and winch, but it would cut the speed at which it lifts in half.

How does it fold when the trailer is loaded, I think I would build one from drawbar end to load pick/up as well

try this site http://beeman.se/index-f.html open the materials tab then then lifting equipment then my hivelifter, it worked well but he has now sold it

I hook it to the front of the trailer and leave it out , i did fold it and put a bungie cord around it to keep it closed it is slower than moving supers by hand but a lot easier