View Poll Results: Build or Buy?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Build your own hive bodies!

49 53.26%
  • Buy your hive bodies!

43 46.74%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you Build or Buy your Hive Bodies?

I feel like it's cheaper to buy unassembled hive bodies then it is to buy the wood at Home depot. Maybe it's because I live in FL and there aren't vast lumber mills around me. I have had to build bottom boards, covers and even nuc boxes. But I have mostly bought my hive bodies and just assembled them. What do you guys do?

Default Re: Do you Build or Buy your Hive Bodies?

I build my own hive bodies and hive tops, etc. Although i'm able to use the lumber from the box stores. Recently I found a really good supplier of milled, kiln dried, pine wood. Gotta take 1600 board feet at a time, but as i'm planning to go commercial at some near point it won't matter much for the price i'm getting the lumber at.
    Thomas Bartram - 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

I personally cannot buy wood for a price that would save me money over the price I can buy budget boxes from Western Bee in Poulsen Mt. Shipping would be prohibitive I imagine for you. I get them shipped surface freight and pick them up at a local freight terminal for a pretty good rate. If you need deep frames, they have a sale on all plastic frames that is cheaper than you can put together a frame. $56 for a box of 30. Buy two of those and you get free shipping.

Yeah they have some great prices...unfort ups ground for 50 supers is $300....:-(
    So what quality of stuff do you guys normally buy? The budget or commercial stuff?
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 12-15-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: UNQuote

I build everything else except the hive bodies/frames. I just wait till some company has free shipping and order ahead

Yeah that's what I have been doing. I took advantage of the kelley beekeeping 15% off w free shipping in nov. I thought supers for $10 was a deal...never seen them for 6-8 like western bee sells!
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 12-15-2014 at 04:31 PM.

I build all my own boxes. I buy 1"x12" eastern white pine for around $.58 bf.
    Dished handholds, box joints, Tite-bond III, and 4 screws per corner.
    Jason Wolthuis '13, z5b, ~20 hives. KTBH's and Langs. TF
    Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.

Wish I could master the box joints.....I have done some with splines that worked out ok for nucs.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 12-15-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: unq

I get all of my bees from cut outs. When I need hives I fall the tree, mill the wood, dry it in a barn ,and use a half blind dovetail jig to make my boxes. ( super easy to use) I also make my own (Laurie miller) style screened inner cover and insulated hive top with moisture board. I do purchase frames and let the bees build natural foundation. I have 20 give or take hives of survivors with not much more then my time and a little money invested.

Swampsquash , Just read a good article in ABJ thats suggests the rabbet joint is just as good if not better than a finger joint , as there is less end grain exposed with a rabbet joint . So don't worry about doing a finger joint when the rabbet is in some ways better and easier .

Quote Originally Posted by Swampsquash View Post
    I feel like it's cheaper to buy unassembled hive bodies then it is to buy the wood at Home depot. Maybe it's because I live in FL and there aren't vast lumber mills around me. I have had to build bottom boards, covers and even nuc boxes. But I have mostly bought my hive bodies and just assembled them. What do you guys do?
    I usually buy from Mann Lake when they have sales, plus you get free shipping when the order is over $100. I buy unassembled boxes and glue & staple them. I can put together 10 or 15 in an hour. Any cheap latex paint can be splashed on in less than an hour also.

It may be cheaper to buy boards and cut them, but if I figure my time, it gets higher priced real quick.

I've built some nucs, top & bottom boards, but only a few. Woodworking was never my strong suit.

Oh man I hear ya.....Not my strong suit either....I have really hunkered down and tried to figure it out and the biggest problem I come up with is the crappy boards are always uneven or warped. ugh
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 12-15-2014 at 04:35 PM.

I have found that while I may pay nearly the same per box, I can buy prime or select wood and have a lot better quality. The boxes I have ordered were of poorer quality wood and I had to reglue and nail about 50% of the boxes.

I have been building mine for the last couple years. Cost is about the same, and I have all the equipment sitting in the garage waiting to be used.

Currently the local good lumber yard has #2 pine at $6 for an 8 foot 1x8, which will make a box plus trim that can be used to make another shallow or medium from a 1x6 bu gluing the trim to the 1x6. So maybe $5 per box. Deeps are more expensive, of course.

It doesn't take much time to set up some length jigs and I have a decent box joint jig. I can knock out a good pile of box parts in an evening, maybe another to cut the box joints and frame rabbets.

Shipping is a real problem cost-wise, and I prefer the boxes I make, they have more fingers on the box joints, hence more nails, and are usually heavier wood.

I also check the scrap/cutoff bins at the local box stores, if you fish out the good ones, it's possible sometimes to get the price for a box down to $3 or so for wood.

Suit yourself -- factory boxes are just fine, I prefer to use all that woodworking equipment to make mine since I don't need many. Make my own frames, too, but I don't recommend that unless you want to do something unusual. Way too much fiddly stuff in making frames!

Peter

I make all my own wooden ware, even most of my frames. I scavenge the majority of my material. First time I bought wood in 3 years was this year I bought enough 1x8 for 30 boxes for $39.99. It was a clearance bundle marked down from $150, I couldn't resist. I use rabbet joints, with everything glued and stapled with 1-3/8" staples. I scavenge paint from the recycle bin at the collection centers. There are some modular home builders near by and they throw out full 5 gallon pails of paint, even primer. The only problem is you don't get much of a color choice.
    Colino
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce

If you on a tight budget then its not a bad idea to build the hive bodies yourself or you can get some already used equipment. If you do go the used equipment root just make sure the equipment is in fine condition, the last thing you want is equipment that can infect your bees.

I was making all of my boxes. Started out with rabbit. Joint and over time I have seen loose couners. Move to fingers and started to pull my hair out. I have a amish person. That is just a cople of Dollars more than I can build them. Not counting my time cutting fingers or the frustration of cutting them.

I use osb boards to built my hive bodies.
    Those hives will last me a long long time.
    I luv bee source!

I get 1x8x16 for less than 9.00. I can make two medium hive bodies and two inner cover frames with it plus a few entrance reducers.
    I make everything but frames during the winter months.

I've started using plywood. Can get 5 deeps and a medium with a strip left for handholds out of one $25.00 sheet. Makes it about $4.00 a box. I enjoy building them. I call it my therapy time. Nobody bothers me when I'm running the saws and I don't think about anything else. Haven't built frames yet but going to try this year and see how it goes. Tops and bottoms get made from scraps and found wood.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast