Default Inside dimensions 8 frame langstroth?

Hello
    Is 12 1/4 x 18 1/4 the correct measurement I should need for an 8 frame lang medium inside dimensions?
    I'm in the process of making my first super and just want to be 100% positive before I move forward with these and cut, nail and glue them all together.
    Everything is being made out of 2x untreated pine lumber with single rabbet joint but not a lot of info I've found for inside dimensions.

Thanks ahead, and great forum!

Default Re: Inside dimensions 8 frame langstroth?

Inside box measurements will varry depending upon mfg of the boxes normally. Particularly the width, the length is standard at 18 3/8". The width will varry from about 11 3/4" to 12 1/2".

For instance Mannlake boxes are 14" wide outside which gives them the 12 1/2" inside. There are other posts about diff mfg's of boxes and their measurements on here.

If you plan to make your own, it would be advisable to make them the same width as any boxes that you will buy later on.
    Thomas Bartram - 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

>Is 12 1/4 x 18 1/4 the correct measurement I should need for an 8 frame lang medium inside dimensions?

There are two "standard" widths of eight frame hives. One would be 12 1/4" inside. The other would be 12 1/2" inside.

All Langstroth hives are supposed to be 18 3/8" inside for length. The frame rabbets should be 3/8" wide and 5/8" deep.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Ok thanks guys. that definately helped clear up any confusion.
    So I will shoot for 12 1/4 by 18 3/8 and should be safe

The span across the rabbets is 19 1/8" and the top bars on frames are 19". This gives you 1/8" (+- 1/16") for the frame to fit in without it falling off of the frame rest rabbet.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF