Default 2 Out of 3 Dead Today

It warmed up a bit today and I decided to put some pollen patties in the hives. Two out of three hives were dead. One was completely empty with food stores the other was full of stores and dead bees. The third was alive and thriving. They were all very healthy and heavy two weeks ago. What happened and how can I keep hive #3 alive through the remainder of the winter? I'm perplexed.

Default Re: 2 Out of 3 Dead Today

#1 - Completely Empty with food stores - Sounds a bit like absconding to me.
    #2 - Full of dead bees and food stores - Clasic of either starvation or poison. Do an autopsy on them to figure it out. Were the bees in contact with the honey, and was the number of bees low? If it were starvation they wouldn't be in contact with the honey, if it were poison they would be in contact with honey and dead brood too.
    #3 - Sounds like good strong bees.

You should button those dead hives up and keep out robbers till you can go through them good.
    Thomas Bartram - Since 2013, 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

check for mites.

I agree with beeware mites would be my guess too. The mites may have weakened them and this past cold spell finished them off. Since it just happened you could send a sample off to The Beltsville lab and let test the bees.