Default Dollar store cheap foams

Hi, All!

Found these cheap 1/4" Styrofoam at the dollar store the
    other day. Bought 6 pieces of them measure at 30"x20" each.
    What is the best way to make use of them to build? They are light weight
    and sturdy.

El cheapo foam sheets:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by beepro; 01-07-2015 at 08:05 PM.
    I luv bee source!

Default Re: Dollar store cheap foams

Why would you buy them not knowing why you would have a use for them?
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

I think it's the same disorder many women have with shoes. "Hey, they were on sale, I'm sure I will have an occasion to wear them!"
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I think it's the same disorder many women have with shoes. "Hey, they were on sale, I'm sure I will have an occasion to wear them!"
    Dat rite dare is funny
    I don't care who you are

If they were mine and I was making outer covers, I would use them as insulation and put them between the plywood and and whatever I was using to keep the rain out, such as aluminum or vinyl. However, I would cut them up, so they go all of the way across. Currently, I use form insulation in my outer covers. Keeps the hives from getting so hot in the summer and they do not get much condensation in the winter.

Protecting Christmas decorations. We have a Christmas village that my two year old got a hold of and destroyed the styrofoam that protects the buildings in the box.

Humm, at the local dollar store their inventory changes really fast. When they are sold out it's out for good.
    So I thought they might be something worthwhile for the bees later on. Foam boards can be used for many years to come.
    Besides, there are many bee application for these thin foam boards. What do you think they are?

Here it is using my new bee frame toy:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I luv bee source!

I made bait hives out of Styrofoam fish shipping boxs and the bees ate it up like candy. There are different densities of Styrofoam. The last picture shows the hole they ate in the bottom, which I did not notice until I picked up the caught swarm.

Your fish foam box is too hot for the bees. They are insulated boxes to maintain the temp.
    inside. So during the summer time it is too hot for them inside. That is why they chewed thru to
    get more ventilation into the hive. If you lined up the inside with the heavy duty aluminum foil then they
    cannot chew thru but that will suffocate them because of poor ventilation. Maybe you can improve more on
    this idea to give them more ventilation. Perhaps with a screened bottom board?
    I do lined the sides of these foam dividers with the aluminum tapes. So far they are holding and the bees don't
    chew on them. I can even improve more by cutting the center of the foam out and then cover it with #8 wire cloth
    for better heat sharing or ventilation. For now they are good as a hive divider during our cold winter months here.

The big foam igloo styro box I have them here as well. But that will bee another project in time. I have set up too many bee
    projects with no time to start and finish them all. Bee projects have no ending. Won't you say?
    I luv bee source!

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I made bait hives out of Styrofoam fish shipping boxs and the bees ate it up like candy. There are different densities of Styrofoam. The last picture shows the hole they ate in the bottom, which I did not notice until I picked up the caught swarm.
    I chuckle and I remember the time when I was a kid and made a mouse trap out of a foam box. The first time I checked the box and found it shut, I got excited, till a mouse shot out of the hole it chewed through it. Learned something that day.

the reason is very simple, The same reason I use a lot of the times "YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THEY MIGHT COME IN HANDY"

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    .... But that will bee another project in time. I have set up too many bee
    projects with no time to start and finish them all. Bee projects have no ending. Won't you say?
    Yes indeed

Good info...good ideas beepro.

@CajunBee,

That is really neat. You can make your own "drones"...on the cheap. Add a small remote camera on that foam flying drone and maybe fly it out to research and check some DCAs in your area.
    Tie a virgin queen to it and get some "droning" action going.

Your boxes are a great idea. I use them for NUCS, catching swarms etc. Yes, the bees do eat them out. I use the boxes as temporary boxes. Some get eaten out very quickly, others take a while . VENTILATION - I cut ventilation holes at each end and put fly wire (hardware cloth??) across the opening on the inside. The holes make good handles as well.

So many good ideas here for the foams, etc.
    I like the foam nuc idea. Maybe to line the inside foam box with #8 wire screen after dipping them into
    the slum gum bath. Add a few used frame of comb with some lemon grass to make it smells good.
    Going to test another project this Spring for some nice local swarms.
    I luv bee source!