Default Does anyone have a Dadant Junior Bench extractor?

Happy Thanksgiving! There is a Dadant Junior Bench extractor for sale locally for $200 dollars. Of course this is a two frame extractor, but seems to be very good quality (I think). I have 8 hives and last year had 180 medium frames to extract. I am able to borrow a 4 frame extractor from our local extension office, and the process of extracting is still slow. Now the office charges rent for the extractor so I want to explore other options. When I look at the picture of the Junior's basket, which is 9 1/4 square, why don't four frames fit in there?? Does a second set not fit under the cross support? Is there a way to modify the basket so four mediums would fit in there? Any insight or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for considering this question.

Default Re: Does anyone have a Dadant Junior Bench extractor?

Peter not only is the junior bench a two frame extractor its also a tangential, meaning the frames have to be turned and each side is extracted separately . If your looking for more speed you want a radial extractor where the frames are placed like spokes on a wheel and the frames don't have to be turned .

Go bigger with a motor. you will be happer

I agree with Peter, go bigger with that many frames, AND with a motor. I only had 7 frames to extract, I have a Dadant Jr, what a pain. spinning that thing is a lot of work, I could not see doing it for 100 or more frames

Your time is also worth something.

I agree with the others.........

Radial (Less labor due to not having to flip. Get one larger than a 4 frame.)
    Motor (savings in time and effort)

While frames are spinning, you can be uncapping the next batch thus saving some time and your arm due to using a motorized one.

You said you had 180 medium frames so you have more than 650 lbs. of honey. Some of that profit could go towards a nice extractor.

Yup, ten frame minimum. You are right to look for a used one. Every extractor wears out several beekeepers. Free wanted adds in craigs list and you will have a long winter and summer to look for one. I could extract your frames in six loads and I paid less than the cost of some motorized ten frames. Worthlooking.

I picked one up for cheap,used it this year for the first time. It worked well but am already wanting a motorized one.

I am not sure about putting four frames in,never tried. If I did the amount you did though, I would be looking for something bigger.