Default Extra Deep Brood - Use 2 Mediums?

With this talk of the old style extra deep or jumbo brood boxes has anyone considered using 2 medium boxes with frames that go all the way down to the bottom of the 2nd medium? That way you would only have to build custom frames and could use standard medium boxes. That would give you frames about 12-1/2" high

Default Re: Extra Deep Brood - Use 2 Mediums?

The limitation I have found on extra deep frames is that they will not fit in most extractors. I think your idea is great, that size frame would be great for the bees if you never needed to extract it. I made frames that fit in double deeps. I end up with giant slabs of honey that must be crush and strained. In deep boxes, a lot of honey stays in the brood chamber, not pushed up into the honey supers. So when you want to get that honey out, no easy way to get it. I do have an extractor that will fit 11 1/4" frames, so I will not make any deeper frames than that.

I'm considering a brood chamber that I never extract so that wouldn't be a problem. However right now I'm a crush and strain person anyway so it double doesn't matter

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    ... I think your idea is great, that size frame would be great for the bees if you never needed to extract it. I made frames that fit in double deeps. I end up with giant slabs of honey that must be crush and strained. ...
    Odfrank has a really cool pictures of his jumbo frames full of honey!
    My personal feeling about "jumbo-frames" is that most old hive designs utilized large frames for broodnest. In many cases, height is bigger than wight. Bees love large frames. I remember old Russian hives had large rectangular (extended vertically) frames. As Odfrank pointed out, the problem is that those frames keep a lot of honey, which is difficult to get - not only extraction, but there is a lot of honey on the frame with brood. If you oriented on easy honey production, large frames perhaps are not great choice.

The biggest I ever had:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Серёжа, Sergey

Not to be out done, these are the depth of two deeps. These hives have been a flop. One mistake, made them 12 frames wide. Maybe in an eight they would work. I have two in tens this year and neither flourished. Too hard to work also.

Mine is nothing in compare with yours!!!
    Серёжа, Sergey