Smile RidgeTop Apiaries, Mike Haney

Several of us hobbyist beekeepers in central NC put together a group order of 44 queens with Mike Haney at RidgeTop Apiaries in TN. VSH and Pol-line VSH. Mike was great to work with. Kept us up to date as he dealt with a cold and wet spring that delayed queen breeding. Price is very reasonable. Marking or clipping is done at no charge. He ships by USPS overnight. I was a bit unsure about this at first, but it allowed me to let my local PO know that the package was going to arrive. I was able to pick up package at PO right after it arrived instead of waiting on it to ride around the county to be delivered. Mike cuts a thick piece of card board the exact size of the inside of the shipping box and glues the cages to that cardboard and glues the cardboard into the shipping box. Cuts and screens vents into the shipping box. All 44 showed up safe and sound. I will try to post again in a few weeks with info on short term survival and take.

Default Re: RidgeTop Apiaries, Mike Haney

Can you give more info on Ridgetop Apiaries? Mailing address, phone # or website. Never Mind I found it.

www.ridgetopapiaries.com

RidgeTop Apiaries
    1475 Thompson Ridge Road
    Baxter, TN 38544

Mike Haney, Owner
    931-319-6569
    Becky aka Turnersville Bees, Member of TN Beekeepers,
    President of CMCBA, Secretary of CCBA

Mike is a straight arrow. He produces a quality product for a fair price and treats people right, but get in line. Being a "boutique" producer he stays sold out far in advance most of the time. Worth the wait though.

I am sure looking forward to mine!

When I saw the name, I was hoping he was just north of Nashville in Ridgetop, TN as that's a few miles from me.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckledPup View Post
    Can you give more info on Ridgetop Apiaries? Mailing address, phone # or website. Never Mind I found it.

www.ridgetopapiaries.com

RidgeTop Apiaries
    1475 Thompson Ridge Road
    Baxter, TN 38544

Mike Haney, Owner
    931-319-6569
    Yep, that's him.

Can you post an update? I'm looking to requeen a few next year.

I talked to Mike yesterday and he mentioned that he was overwintering about 30 5 frame medium mating nucs - which he has not tried before. Some with open screened bottom boards. All still kicking so far despite the recent arctic blast. Not bad. I think he is sold out until mid summer. Fall is great for requeening though.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Thanks!

Earl of Chatman

Can we get an up date on how your queens did, did they make it thru the winter

I can vouch for Mike as a pleasure to work with and great queens. My strongest hive is queened by his stock, am getting ready to split. Mine wintered fine in a single deep. She shut down the brood and let the bees maximize stores. Very Pleased. G

I overwintered several of them with 100% success. Around April 1st I experienced several supercedures - but not in any of the hives headed by Mikes queens.

For what it's worth I've been opening brood nests with foundationless frames to help manage swarming, and then removing the resulting drone comb as IPM. Saturday before I put some frames in the freezer I picked out about 100 purple eye larva from an overwintered hive with one of Mikes VSH queens - didn't spot a single varroa mite. Not even one. That hive also had some of the most perfect capped brood frames I have ever seen. I treat around August 1 and in mid Dec. It seems that they do a pretty good job of keeping the mites under control - at least within my system.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b