Default ordered wrong size supers - should I go with them?

SO, I stupidly underordered withmy first order. I ordered extra supers that came last week, but I had no time to put them together.Just now I'm putting them together and thinking "Good grief, they seem big. . . "
    I go to pop the first one on the bottom board and it is a 10 frame. Look at my receipt and I ordered 15 supers in 10 frame BLECK! I had a gazillion reasons for going with 8 frame including my ability to lift them, winter them etc etc.
    I think to ship them back will cost me an arm and a leg. . . . well, maybe $30-40.
    Should I just order a bottom and cover and go with 10 frame or will I regret it horribly?

Default Re: ordered wrong size supers - should I go with them?

If you don't like them today, you're going to hate them tomorrow (or a year from now)

I'd send them back, although I use 10 frame stuff. I may try some 8 frame just to see what the hooplah is about.

I'm in my first year of beekeeping and i have 10 frame gear. I have no health conditions or limitations that make it difficult to lift the 10-frame stuff, so that is what i made. It seems to me that the difference between 8 and 10 frame is something that i would consider negligible. Yes, there are differences, but in your place, I'd just run what you have. Maybe try 8-frame next time you order and then see what you like best.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    If you don't like them today, you're going to hate them tomorrow (or a year from now)

I'd send them back, although I use 10 frame stuff. I may try some 8 frame just to see what the hooplah is about.
    took the words right out of my mouth.

They will be much heavier full, than they are empty. believe me, a ten frame deep full of honey is not something you want to carry too far. Make the switch now or you'll regret it later.

Is there anybody local that may want them for cost? It could save you the shipping, and you break even. Even if you take a loss of a couple of bucks per super, It'll be cheaper than shipping.

Your choices:

Send them back.

Cut them down.

Use them for swarm traps.

Sell them to a friend who wants ten frame boxes...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Depending on your physical strength, 10-frame boxes full of honey could be a big difference compared to 8-frame boxes.

Easiest solution is to sell the 10-frame boxes on Craigs List, and order the 8-frame boxes, like you wanted. You'll lose some money, but you will lose even more if you use the 10-frame boxes for a season and then decide to get rid of them.,
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

What matters most is that you stay consistent with your equipment. If you already have 8 frame boxes then stay with 8 frame equipment. You'll be very frustrated in a year or two trying to run bees in two types of equipment.