Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Storing Empty Supers with Drawn Comb

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    I do a lot of storage right out in the full sun.... even in the summer, with the supers sitting on their small side. It can work for a long time. Put as many as you can on the hive and the rest line up outside... I recommend the full sun... unless it gets a lot hotter in Lincolnton than down here on the coast....

No, we definitely don't get as hot as you guys do. I want to try this. It seems so simple. Please explain "sitting on their small side". The frame would have one of it's side bars towards the ground and either the top bar or bottom bar facing South? It looks like the combs on the ends would still get too much direct sun. No?

Turn the super perpendicular to the ground... so the breeze blows through it. Direct sunlight is good. Breeze and sunlight it what keeps the wax moths from building up.
    Dont tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled. - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Turn the super perpendicular to the ground... so the breeze blows through it. Direct sunlight is good. Breeze and sunlight it what keeps the wax moths from building up.
    You have no SHB issues??
    Im really not that serious

You can bag then freeze. Bag them up tight on a day with low humidity, then freeze (I do this with cut comb frames to prevent moths etc). If you bag them before freezing you don't have to worry about condensation on the cold comb or in my case honey, which is worse since there is more heat capacity. But then again you need a whole lot of bags, but I have had wax moth trouble in dry honey frames some years and SHB trouble with empty frames left on hives unless they are strong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12