Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Top Entrances Added, Bees Not Using

This is how I've done my top entrances (shown upside down):

topenter1.jpg

I started out with long hives, which were made so as to accept three 8 frame medium supers, and these inner covers were protected by a sheet of galvanized corrugated roofing. The top entrances worked very well for the long hives, and were much more flexible than bottom entrances. For example two colonies could be housed in the same long hive.

When I put a couple of colonies in conventional Langstroth equipment, I made the boards shown above. The entrances are just 3/8" slots routed out of the bottom side of 3/4" ply. The entrance size can be adjusted with bits of scrap 3/8" stock and the feeding hole can be used with an empty hive body. I use migratory covers over these entrance boards, if not feeding.

I'm a beginner, so I may realize that I've been wrong all along, but so far the bees seem to be fine with these entrances.

I run top entrances on everything and when bees are given a top entrance which did not exist before it takes a new brood hatch out for the bees to learn about the new top entrances, funny thing is go check your top entrances and there will be guards already on the job.
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

Two of my hives were installed from identical packages on the same day. One of those hives uses the top entrance the majority of the time, the other barely uses it. My top entrance is Michael Bush style, door shims under a migratory style top cover. I thought perhaps there was a slight difference between heights since door shims vary so I swapped them but there was no difference in hive activity. Who knows

No two hives are the same. That is something you learn when you have more than one hive. Comparing one hive to the other is like comparing the Pacific to the Atlantic. The only real comparison you can make with a hive is with 20 - 50 others.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    No two hives are the same. That is something you learn when you have more than one hive. Comparing one hive to the other is like comparing the Pacific to the Atlantic. The only real comparison you can make with a hive is with 20 - 50 others.
    This is nonsense....
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

This picture was taken several weeks ago after I first installed the upper entrance spacer I made. It has since been moved to above the second super with the inner cover turned over in the correct direction.
    Attachment 6841[/QUOTE]

why two upper entrances in this hive photo?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12