Default Natural alternative to weed control - is it okay to use around hives??

So I saw this on FB and it is a homemade liquid week killer that includes a gallon of white vinegar, salt and some dish soap. The directions are fairly straight forward and you add the mixture to a spray bottle and treat any area that has weeds. My question is : are the bees sensitive to white vinegar? I don't intend to spray the hive, I'll continue to pull the weeds there, but on the pathway into the bee yard, I may concider this.

Anyone who has tried this or can recommend an alternative?

Default Re: Natural alternative to weed control - is it okay to use around hives??

Bees love vinegar. Many use it in their feed. Can you post the complete recipe?

Thanks
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Default Re: Natural alternative to weed control - is it okay to use around hives??

we use the same stuff except we use clove oil instead of dish soap and it works great if you apply the morning before a long sunny day

I was reading somewhere the other day about old timey uses for vinegar and it said ants won't cross a line of vinegar.... Haven't tried it yet. Maybe kill 2 birds with one stone...

here is one for weed killer --it might be the same one

1--gal vinegar
    1/2--c salt
    1-- Tablespoon of salt

I haven't tried it yet to see if if it works or not

Just plain rock salt is working great and very easy to spread . Anyone hear of any down side to salt.

Neighbor has a little mosquito/frog pond he dug in his backyard to keep goldfish. Little toads this year are like grasshoppers in the yard. Many have gathered around my hives feasting on the ants. Ants have not been bothering my hives.

I will be killing toads when they get bigger as adult toads like to feed on bees.

allnighter - thats the recipie, but it doesn't list two amounts of salt. the third line was for dish soap or clove oil. So back to the main question, is this safe to use around the hives? does the soap hurt the bees or should I use clove oil?

Soap or any kind of oil sprayed on the bees will not be good for them. Spraying the weeds with it will be fine, but watch any over spray if the bees are active. Most people that use vinegar spray as a herbicide use the 20% instead of the 5%. Be advised that it's not systemic it only burns the leaves off therefore must be reapplied several times to complete the job. Salt or glyphosate works better and will be longer lasting. Your local feed store will have fifty pound sacks of stock salt at a very reasonable price.

A pot of boiling water. Just be careful not to scold yourself. I treated a patch some time ago, nothing grew there for a half a year. Salt might work but it depend on the weeds. I have some weeds that grow right through the thick felt weed blocker and react to salt with complete indifference.

The same for me. I have several thistles that are nitorious for growing through the barrier. Also when is the best time to work infront of the hive to remove weeds? I manage the area that is 6-7 feet infront of the hives but occasionally I get a bee in my hair (haven't been stung yet!) but the thistles are now right up to the front of the hive. Also I need to re-stabilize the hive base arrangements, can you recommend a way to do this? I know that I will have to elevate the hive to get the clearance to fix the area below it.