Question Nectar in brood cells

Newbee with 3 ten frame hives. 2 from nucs, and one captured swarm.

Hive 1 (nuc) - swarmed a couple weeks ago. Now have no brood, and brood cells are filling with nectar. No swarm cells seen during inspection.

Hive 2 (nuc) - going strong, seem very active.

Hive 3 (swarm - not from hive 1) - doing well, but not as strong as Hive 2.

From what I gather, I can either

1) re-queen hive 1
    2) move a frame of brood from another hive. (and weaken the other hive a bit?)
    3) combine hive 1 with hive 3 (or 2)

I have bees mostly for pollination - not for honey production.

Suggestions?

Default Re: Nectar in brood cells

Follow up:

I was able to touch base with my mentor who pointed out that if the hive swarmed (May 10), then the old brood has emerged, and the new queen has not started laying yet. Not surprised that there was no brood. He suggested checking again on Friday for eggs.

I agree with waiting a few days to see what happens. If still no eggs in hive 1, I'd more a frame of eggs over from hive 2. Since you aren't especially interested in honey, you can offer syrup to a weaker hive without being concerned about getting syrup mixed in with honey.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Well, no brood in the hive this weekend. Started looking to buy a queen, but another hive swarmed today - so I was able to move a swarm queen cell from the other hive into the queen less hive. Was also able to capture the swarm, so things may work out OK. The swarm was up about 20 ft, so it took a creative solution to re-capture. Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/reprosser/

Whooo! I bet that was exciting!

Eggs and queens can be really hard for a new bee keeper - or me for that matter - to spot, but if you put a frame of open brood in a hive it will pretty much always build queen cells on it if it is really queenless. Then within 3 days you can know for sure. Unfortunately if you did have a queen that was about to (or just did) start laying the virgin from the queen cell you installed most likely killed her setting the hive back by about 2 weeks.

Stealing a frame of open brood from a healthy hive - even a small one - does little damage at all. The comb is harder for them to replace than the brood is - so if you can swap an empty comb it's like nothing almost.

SS1 - yes it was exciting! I had a plan B (no pun) in case I did not feel secure with the setup, but it worked out, and this swarm hive is the most active of my 4 hives.

Hive #1 (the problem hive) is now doing well with a laying queen. I found eggs, uncapped and capped brood last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    Eggs and queens can be really hard for a new bee keeper - or me for that matter - to spot, but if you put a frame of open brood in a hive it will pretty much always build queen cells on it if it is really queenless. Then within 3 days you can know for sure.
    What do you see after 3 days to confirm? Would it be OK to wait for 6 or 7 days to inspect?
    I did this just last Sunday to a queen less hive. Unfortunately I did not have a frame of comb to replace the brood/eggs filled frame I stole from the strong colony. So they will have to start from scratch on the foundation on that one.
    OK to feed the weak queen less hive? Not expecting any harvest from them. First year. And it had swarmed.

(sorry to hijack thread)