Default Canadian Food Inspection and paint

I am hearing that CFI is having a concern with painted hives as the paint is not food grade. Anyone else have any info?

Default Re: Canadian Food Inspection and paint

they are concerned with older lead based paint
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I wonder what they will say about wax dipped supers? Is everything food grade? They sure are not of much help. We are in the process of building a new honey house. You can ask them a question to see if this will meet reg's and you get nothing firm from them.

Ya we are supposed to get the resources to meet their criteria. Makes sense as every operation is different. I had just inquired about plumbing, and had to badger them to get a clear answer. One general comment from CFIA, and my plumbing contractor shaking his head. I got things straightened out
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I wish CFIA standards were the same for everyone and the same every time and not a moving target. Worrying about paint on the outside of supers is analogous to worrying about the equipment used to haul the supers having food grade paint, lubricants and fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Ya we are supposed to get the resources to meet their criteria. Makes sense as every operation is different. I had just inquired about plumbing, and had to badger them to get a clear answer. One general comment from CFIA, and my plumbing contractor shaking his head. I got things straightened out
    Problem is you can get a different answer from each person you talk to and they will not give you anything in writing. We have one contractor that has done a bit of work that needed CFA clearance so he should be of some help.

my issue came with floor drainage and bathroom drainage both going into the same septic tank. I was told that the floor drainage had to be in a completely separate system, which was crazy, so I told the CFIA inspector that Im using the same tank, with a back flow valve.
    He said as long as the plumbing connection which bring both pipes into the septic tank is joined outside of the facility I am okay.

So a 180 after three or four emails to him. Going from completely seperate systems, to using a back flow valve, hmmmm
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    my issue came with floor drainage and bathroom drainage both going into the same septic tank. I was told that the floor drainage had to be in a completely separate system, which was crazy, so I told the CFIA inspector that Im using the same tank, with a back flow valve.
    He said as long as the plumbing connection which bring both pipes into the septic tank is joined outside of the facility I am okay.

So a 180 after three or four emails to him. Going from completely seperate systems, to using a back flow valve, hmmmm
    We were told about the same thing but we were also told the floor drain did not have to go to a tank. He said it could go to an outside pumpout.

I find it a lot easier to send it to the one tank
    www.stepplerfarms.com