Default Can you combine colonies in a TBH?

I caught a small swarm on Friday, maybe 1lb-1.5lbs of bees. I left them in the 5 frame nuc that I caught them in. I checked yesterday and they're already building comb on the foundationless frames and they're busy bringing in pollen. I haven't seen the queen yet, so I don't know for sure if I got her or not, but, the bees seem happy and they're very gentle.....Anyway, if I decide they're not big enough to make it on their own, how would I go about combining them? I have an empty KTBH that I just built that's ready to go, but if I put this small swarm in there, I'm worried I might catch a larger swarm in the next few weeks and I have no idea how you do a "combine" in a TBH unlike Langs where you do the sheet of newspaper trick.....

Default Re: Can you combine colonies in a TBH?

What about using newspaper and flat thumbtacks to hold it in place?

Quote Originally Posted by MacNachtan View Post
    What about using newspaper and flat thumbtacks to hold it in place?
    Now that's a pretty darned good idea......anyone think it would work?

How tight is your follower board mine is tight except the bottom with mine I would stuff grass on the bottom of the board and dump them in the other side make sure you don't dump a queen in

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    How tight is your follower board mine is tight except the bottom with mine I would stuff grass on the bottom of the board and dump them in the other side make sure you don't dump a queen in
    That's also a good idea! My follower boards are pretty tight, but, I could cut 3/8" off the bottom of one and save it and re-attach it with a nail or two after I'm done using it for a colony combine with grass stuffed in the gap at the bottom.

Thanks!

I've combined a queenless top bar colony with another using newspaper duct taped in place successfully. I just removed the tape and what was left of the newspaper about a week later.
    Matt

Once I did a cut-out that got ugly ( no need to recount the details).

Anyhow, I had a bunch of queenless workers that I had vacuumed up and just let them free next to an existing top bar hive.

They integrated just fine. Here's a video of some of them filing in the hive:

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    That's also a good idea! My follower boards are pretty tight, but, I could cut 3/8" off the bottom of one and save it and re-attach it with a nail or two after I'm done using it for a colony combine with grass stuffed in the gap at the bottom.

Thanks!
    I leave the gap all the time so bees have access to the feeder on the back side