Default 1st TBH - 5 weeks in

Since I'm re-starting after a 50 year hiatus, I built 3 Langs figuring that was the way to go. After connecting with a local gentleman with a 50 years history of keeping bees, he asked me to explore/experiment with a TBH.

1-100_0387.JPG

These bees came from a wild swarm 5 weeks ago, about 5 miles away from me. This is the first hive I had with a window and I can see where it'll get used.

1-100_0374.JPG

They have drawn out at least a 3rd

1-100_0379.JPG

They are bringing in loads of pollen and nectar, the very late spring in this area has helped with trying to get this swarm settled. Honey already in the new comb.
    Ed

Default Re: 1st TBH - 5 weeks in

They look like they're doing very well!

Since the comb is so new, now would be a good time to go in and gently cut the comb off the window (using a pull stroke upwards, not ever downward cut stroke). Otherwise, you might find it hard to manipulate the bars later, as they've attached it to the window!

Our windows are VERY well used. At least daily, I'm peeking in to see what's 'new'! That's the best part about a TBH!

Default Re: 1st TBH - 5 weeks in

Thanks for the tip, I was planning this coming Saturday to do the trimming, but never thought about cutting upward.
    Ed