Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Does fogging FGMO really work for mite control?

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    Enjoy
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGE&cad=rja

Let me know if this link worked.

Thanks for the link, Cerezha! (And, yes, it worked!)

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    Thanks for the link, Cerezha! (And, yes, it worked!)
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman46408 View Post
    Works for me
    Works for me too. It must be done so the FGMO fog gets circulated through the entire hive. I have found that the bees will vigorously fan the entrance to the hive to blow any fog away, so I give them a shot of fog in the entrance and then immediately fog the top of the hive and the bees fanning air out of the entrance will draw the FCMO fog into the hive and I do this until I see it blowing heavily out of the entrance. That way I am assured the entire hive got treated. If the temps are cool to cold, this is not required as much or at all mostly because the FGMO fog is warm enough to immediately rise up into the hive on its own. In these warm summer temps, the fog just kinda lays there and will actually sink to the ground.

Treating the hives in this fashion has shown very dramatic results on several weak hives that now are very strong. Just be careful and don't over do it.

My uncle has been fogging with fgmo for over 30 years. This is the only treatment his hives receive and they are booming.

I have been fogging with FGMO this year weekly and so far every hive is doing real well also I pulled queens from 8 out of the ten hives I have so they got a brood break and I used drone frames here and there {not in every hive} I have 2 hives I just fogged to see how they do with out a brood break or drone frames plus I have 4.9 frames in most my hives {have a couple 5.1 just to see if there's a difference in mite loud}
    I have 12 nucs and ten big hives and every ones is doing great this year. Goal for this year is 15 hives and 15 nucs looks like I might make it.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Glock - I am glad that your hives are doing great however you are mixing so many mite control methods it will be very hard to say to what extent any one method contributed to success. Has there been a report anywhere suggesting that any of these methods are harmful to bees? Do you not care about individual method success instead focusing on the combination?
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

I "hear" you beeks who say FGMO works for you. The question is how? What does (or how do you think it does) to either to prevent or kill the mites you have...........
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Glock - I was looking forward to hearing the results of your FMGO testing. Unfortunately, fogging only two hives with no other treatments is such a small data set that I don't think you will be able to draw any conclusions at all.

JMHO.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    Do you not care about individual method success instead focusing on the combination?
    I just want to win the war with the mites and as it looks right now I am.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    Glock - I was looking forward to hearing the results of your FMGO testing. Unfortunately, fogging only two hives with no other treatments is such a small data set that I don't think you will be able to draw any conclusions at all.

JMHO.
    Shinbone, I am treating 16 hives. This season I used ONLY FGMO fogging treatment. I have no conclusive scientific peer reviewed evidence to substantiate my results. This season was also a VERY unusual season in that we had rain and moderate temperatures throughout the entire Summer which may account for such good results to some degree.

I CAN attest to the fact that this is by FAR and AWAY the best and most successful season I have ever had. All of the hives have extremely large populations. I am using the unlimited brood box method (three brood boxes per hive) and each hive I estimate has at least 75K to 100K bees, possibly more.

We harvested 80 gallons of honey from the 16 hives and did not touch any of the brood boxes which is the most we have ever harvested. All of the hives except one had at least a full brood box full of honey and most had much more after the harvest.

Towards the end of August the hive populations began to fall off a bit due to a brief dry, hot spell but the rain has since picked up and fueled a HUGE, ragweed, goldenrod, and wildflower bloom that all the hives are vigorously working. I have not checked the hives yet but judging from the rotten gym socks/locker smell my entire bee yard has, I just may have a second harvest of some sort.

The best thing I could suggest to you is to try treating half of your bee colonies with FGMO and the other half with a different treatment method you prefer. Observe your results and draw your own conclusions.

Note, Glock is now using OA Vaporizier as fogging was not enough to keep his mite drop numbers down. The thread was "Started Fogging Today". I'm also in that group, started treating some hives with OA and others with checkmite over the weekend as my natural drop count was 150. I will continue to compare fogged and unfogged hives next year to see if it is helping at all, but I am sure that fogging alone wasn't keeping the numbers down enough to survive the winter.

Before I didnt remember seeing anything on Randy Olivers site about FGMO. However I think everyone should read the article Jerry Hayes wrote about it in this months American Bee Journal.

I tried fogging with FGMO . I started in MAY and stopped 2d week of AUG. and started OAV and I must say i'm glad I did i'm sure I would of ended up with PMS for sure. I am doing my 3d treatment SUNDAY and all my hives had lots of VARROA 2 both real strong have dropped well over 3000 . All the way up till mid JULY every thing looked good with fogging with FGMO I would only drop no more then 2 or 3 a day on the sticky boards then around mid JULY they started to drop 10 or a few more so I did alcohol washes on all my hives and all tested from 5 to 15 so I switched to OAV and I have been dropping mites for now 3 weeks so if you are going with fogging do yourself a favor do alcohol washes come the end of JULY.
    You have to remember all my hives where fogged weekly real well and all had at least one brood break and some where queenless for even longer then 30 days so watch out if your thinking about fogging most definitely did not work for me .Now that I am OAV I feel better and it's working the bees are all happy and healthy .
    Remember PMS happens fast watch your mite loads . Good luck.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-fogging-today

Glock... if your hive is heavily bearding... how do you handle that...before putting the hot plate in the hive?

Quote Originally Posted by oldforte View Post
    Glock... if your hive is heavily bearding... how do you handle that...before putting the hot plate in the hive?
    Smoke them.