Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Observation Hive

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Jeremy_K 
#1 ·
So, I think it would be fun to have an observation hive. I'm thinking a hive in the house that has an entrance to the outside. That way I can sit and watch the bees from the comfort of my home. I would like it to be big enough that it will be self-sufficient, but small enough that I can see all the exciting stuff that is going on. I don't want all the action to be hidden.

Does anyone have experiences with these hives. I am wondering on the best size and so forth. I'm also wondering if there is a place to buy one that you would recommend, or where to find plans to build one myself for cheaper. I suppose I could figure one out on my own, but I'd need to get all the bee space right. And need to know some important design features.

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
OMG! I had the same thought and my husband thought I was nuts. I am SO glad someone else wants to do the same thing.
I will be very interested in any pictures or experiences anyone has had with such a project.

I did try to convince him it would cost less to heat the house if bees were in the walls keeping it 95 degrees. He didn't buy it. :p

#6 ·
My guess is you will see her more than you would think. I have a top bar observation hive and we see the queen fairly often, and we can only see the sides of the comb and the face of the comb on the last bar. Last night I got home at midnight from a short vacation and wanted to check the progress. Went out with the flashlight and low and behold, saw the queen moving around a bar.

#7 ·
Double deep observation hive hides 60% of the activity. The queen will prefer to hang out inbetween the two combs. For some that's fine. I think it defeats the purpose of having an observation hive. Just my thoughts.

I made my own, and showed how to build it here:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,30161.0.html

I discuss some of the pros and cons to certain aspects of an observation hive. I've had quite a few over the years.

#9 ·
I just finished making one that was a combination of the beemaster design (lazy susan) and the wall mounted hinge later in that post. The instructions found there were very easy to follow and I think mine turned out very nice. Feel free to hit me up if you want more more details/opinions but we are loving our observation hive. I highly recommend it both the bee master design and getting one to watch your girls better!
Furniture Antique Display case Wood Mirror

#10 ·
Two years ago, I made an observation hive following Specialk. ,s instructions. Very good, even if I did modify some.
An observation hive is the best way to learn about bees and find what is happening each day. I recommend building only a one frame wide - YOU DO want to learn to find unmarked queens, know how she is laying, etc.
I run mine in an unheated, but enclosed porch - all year long. Usually twice a year I have to remove the frames and bees (due to becoming too full) to a nuc; then start the ob. hive over with one frame and let them make their own queens.
Charlie

zone 5 - 13 hives

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.