Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Looking for advice on a plan of attack (regression).

Quote Originally Posted by honeydrunk View Post
    so I gave em a medium super of empty frames and they dont seem too interested yet.
    They won't be, if you put a super of all empty frames on top, because to start building those combs from the top, they have to break cluster, not something they normally do.

To help them into the box of empties, when it's time. Put 3 fully drawn combs into the middle of that box. Once the bees have moved onto those frames you can start spreading them by putting an empty frame between them. Long as the bees are not spread to thin, and there is a nectar flow, they will start building comb in those empty frames.

Putting a box of empty frames on top of a hive, then wondering why the bees do not move in and draw the combs, is a common trap for new players. The problem is easily handled though, once understood.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by zhiv9 View Post
    Honeydrunk,

Let me know if you find a reasonably priced method of purchasing PF100/120's. I ordered 120 PF120's direct from Mann Lake and all said and done with shipping, duty, brokerage fees and taxes it was over $4 a frame.
    Ok zhiv9, got word back from Mann Lake, the postage for one case of 30 frames is 165 bucks! 75% more expensive then the frames themselves!

Also, thats to Woodstock Ontario which is about 2 hours southwest of Barrie. Anyone know of some Mann Lake dealers in Ontario that would carry this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by honeydrunk View Post
    Ok zhiv9, got word back from Mann Lake, the postage for one case of 30 frames is 165 bucks! 75% more expensive then the frames themselves!
    Yeah, it broke down like this for me:

120 frames $234
    Shipping $155
    Taxes, duty, brokerage through UPS $109
    Total: $498

I think that its a bit shabby that Mann Lake will ship to California for free, but give us no break at all on shipping to Canada. In my mind they should at least be subtracting the worst case cost for shipping in the US since they have built that shipping cost into their prices.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Well another wrench in the plans, after telling me they had small cell medium frames, and driving there... turns out they only sell them in deeps. So I have 60 4.9mm deep frames, now im scratching my head figuring out what I want to do. I could buy 6 deep boxes, and either checkerboard, or fill up the bottom box with the small cell... when that is filled perform a split. Works for more bees, but doesn't help me into getting all mediums, and theoretically only regresses one colony continuously. I guess due to time, resources and money I am going to have to prioritize small cell, and foundationless then maybe worry about all mediums down the road....

The frames are plastic, right? Just saw the bottom off with a bench saw, or whatever, to make them 3/4 size.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Yeah I thought about that... I lent out my table saw and they dickered it, too strapped for cash for tool purchases.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12