Hybrid View

Default Looking for advice on a plan of attack (regression).

Well the week has finally come folks, after almost a year of lurking on this forum, absorbing every book I could get my dirty paws on, spending many sleepless nights whacking frames and boxes together, I pick up my bees this week!

I pretty much got a solid plan out for going natural cell/treatment free however I am still slightly confused as to the BEST way to perform the manipulations to get there.

I am purchasing six hive bodies full of bees (as opposed to a nuc or package), and they come on deeps, in plastic foundation. So I am trying to work towards natural cell regression using foundationless, and on Bush’s recommendation going to all mediums.

Would I be better off, slipping foundationless deep frames into the brood nest and phasing out the larger cell plastic ones, THEN work on getting them on to mediums? OR catching the queen in the mediums and performing a split to get that colony onto all mediums. What would everyone recommend as far as the most logical, least disruptive way to do this? OR should I just work on being a new beek and keep this all out of my mind? Id rather have a solid plan going in then willy nilly trying and failing!

Default Re: Looking for advice on a plan of attack (regression).

if you have six full hive bodies comeing then you will have 6 ways to experiment your way to the desired results you would like. i like natural cell and am a fan of mr bushes site. if it were me i would slip a couple medium frames without foundation into the hive.they will draw it and when the queen lays in it put it below in a medium eventualy you should one day see her in the medium on the medium frames. then an excluder obove her and ad more medium boxes and frames below. but thats only how i would do it.
    thats the way i roll.

I am in a similar position but with deep nucs. I am going with the phase out. Working the deep frames to the side, inserting mediums closer to the middle. They build comb on the bottom the mediums during this process and I have just been scraping it off each inspection. I have been cutting down the deep frames to re-use them - this is pretty messy when they are full of capped honey.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Well thanks guys! That seems like a great idea, it never occurred to me to put mediums in a deep! Suppose that would also probably be the least disruptive as well. Definitely gonna do that!

You need not waste the full depth frames. If they are plastic and you have access to a table saw, just shake the bees off the frame, then cut the bottom off with the saw to make it 3/4 depth.

For your natural combs just feed them in between the built combs so the bees will build them straight. Do this gradually so you do not over extend the bees or spread the bees too thin. That's if you want natural sized cells. But if you want to regress the bees to 4.9, that is going to take a lot more work.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Well I have kind of re evaluated my plan. So long story. Got my bees about a week ago, and frankly I think I am in love. Got these bees from Szabo Queens in Puslinch Ontario, and they are incredibly gentle. I have not had to wear protection yet, and have inspected hives with a smoker that went out, and still have yet to be stung! (Im sure one of these days my luck will run out). So needless to say I am a kid in a candy store, and trying to be patient, watch them at the landing board, and avoiding opening them up too much!

I think for this season I am going to stick with one deep in the brood nest. I figure it would probably be a waste of the bees resources to start getting rid of them. What I am going to do is start making a bunch of nuc boxes, and as I put a medium frame in the deep to get it drawn out ill put that deep frame in a nuc box. I currently have 6 colonies in single story deeps in 10 frame boxes, so the idea is that by taking one out at a time it wont tax them too hard. That way I can make a few nucs to overwinter in a more urban area away from all the **** corn. I am also planning on getting some pf-100 and pf-120s to start forcing regression a bit, and hopefully that in combination with foundationless will accomplish that to some end.

When I catch the queen in the medium boxes maybe ill split, but I think ill concentrate more on all mediums next year. This year I think my goals are firstly to keep them alive, get some experience, get a bit of regression going, get rid of some nasty wax, and start my nuc insurance plan for the following year.