One of my hives is showing signs of a worsening DWV problem. I first noticed it a couple months ago, at that time it was only seeing one or two effected bees per hour. Now I've seeing ten in about 30 minutes.
I want to stay treatment free. All my hives are natural cell foundationless. This hive is a little over one year old.
Question is, what, if anything should I do.
Order a new queen? Let it the hive die? Destroy the hive?
If I was just going to make up a plan on my own I think It would be to remove the old queen, Destroy any queen cells that are formed and then add two frames of eggs from my strongest hive, thus re-queening and providing a brood break to cut down the mite population. Is this a sound theory?
One problem is that I am leaving for Alaska in a week and won't be back until the first week of july. I have someone who could refill feeders while I am gone but that is about it. Can I afford to wait until then? Weather is as good as it ever gets and everything is in bloom. Hive still seems strong but is behind compared to my others.