Default Candle mold question

I have a metal 6 votive candle molds. And, my candles get "cracks" in them. Can anyone give me some advice? I'm alright with it but, I want to sell them.

Default Re: Candle mold question

They need to cool slowly. Try warming your mold in the oven before pouring or covering the molds with a few towels to hold the heat in.

-Dan

At what temperature are you pouring?

Crazy Roland

150 to 170 F

You may hate me, but try going colder. Watch the tank, when you JUST see that film on the top when you blow on the wax, POUR!!!!...

Please report your results.

Crazy Roland

Are you using wick pins with your molds or putting in a wick with a self centering bottom? It really sounds like your pouring too hot, but there are also problems with pouring too cold such as bubbles on the side of the candle when it comes out of the mold. You will have to find a happy medium. I would reccommend that you try using 2 pours for your votives. The first pour would mostly fill the votive container. Let that harden and contract. Then do a second pour. Your second pour will slightly melt the max in the container and bond to it. Should give you a profession looking top for your candle.

I pour at about 155.....works fine...........most of the time..........

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    You may hate me, but try going colder. Watch the tank, when you JUST see that film on the top when you blow on the wax, POUR!!!!...

Please report your results.

Crazy Roland
    Ok. Y'all are killing me. But, I will try it. I mean it not like I can't just remelt it and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by RSHH View Post
    Are you using wick pins with your molds or putting in a wick with a self centering bottom? It really sounds like your pouring too hot, but there are also problems with pouring too cold such as bubbles on the side of the candle when it comes out of the mold. You will have to find a happy medium. I would reccommend that you try using 2 pours for your votives. The first pour would mostly fill the votive container. Let that harden and contract. Then do a second pour. Your second pour will slightly melt the max in the container and bond to it. Should give you a profession looking top for your candle.
    I'm using pre-made wicks. I usually put the metal button in liquid wax and sort of "glue" it to the bottom of the mold. Thats one of my other problems, trying to make the wicks stand straight. I did try 2 pours but, I think I waited too long. The candle separated from the mold and the next pour just looked bad.

Go get one of those rubber flex molds, you'll bee alot happier. I actually pour quite hot, around 180 using the flex molds with votives. John

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Go get one of those rubber flex molds, you'll bee alot happier. I actually pour quite hot, around 180 using the flex molds with votives. John
    Yeah the silicon mold I made gives me no problems. Maybe I'll just make a couple of votive molds.

If your looking for a professional votive, you might want to try this set up.

http://www.candlescience.com/equipment/votive-wick-pin/

If you want to not use a wick pin (sometimes they can be hard to get out), then you might considering getting wicks with a self centering bottom. It is bigger than the normal wick bottom and fits the bottom of the votive better. If you are having a problem keeping the wick straight, then pour the votive tin about 7/8 full and keep straightening the wick as the candle cools. It is a bit time consuming at first. The cooling wax will shrink and pull the wick out of true so you have to help it by pulling as needed. Once the candle is completely cool, about 4 hours, then do a second pour for a perfect top.

The cracking your experiencing is normally from cooling too fast such as putting it in the fridge. The top edges will get hard, but as the inside wax contracts with cooling, it pulls and cracks the hard outer wax.