Default Slow year for swarms in W IL

Caught one of about 3 pounds on May 12, and another last evening, about the same size.

Had a call on Sunday the 19th but arrived about 10 minutes after they had flown off...homeowner said 'basketball sized'

The weather here is supposed to go to pot again this afternoon, so a few days of 'enforced idleness' will probably bring a few calls starting Sunday.

Have to call the local PD and the Sheriff's Dept's here and in the surrounding counties today and make sure they know to call.

Default Re: Slow year for swarms in W IL

been slow for swarms here too, a few cut out calls but I have not had a single swarm.

I'm in Peoria and have caught half a dozen and missed a few more.

Slow her. I have about 20 traps out and I've only manage to get 3 paper wasp nests and a European hornets nest. The kicker is scout bees have been checking out a top bar nuc and an empty lang deep in my backyard for two days.

I have only caught 3 swarms so far this year and 2 of those were small ones (nuc sized) in the same spot in the middle of the nearest city to me. I have out 12 traps, all but one in very rural locations, scout bees coming and going on almost all of them but nothing moving in. I am guessing the city bees survived the drought and hard Winter better so their swarms are forced to find new homes while the rural bees died off more and have plenty of deadout colonies to choose from.

Just a theory.

I'm getting more calls from individuals now that I've listed my name on the net.....so far my best leads have come from the local pest control outfit.

There appear to be a lot more tree / building colonies around these parts than I thought.

Personally I'd prefer a swarm thrown from the wild, they have been naturally selected for resistance to all the problems now prevalent.