Default Honey flavors and flowers to avoid.

Is/are there flowers to just plain avoid that taints or makes honey unpalatable?

I just could not wait and harvested a single frame that was about 50% capped (80% drawn out) and the honey that I got was more fluid than I expected. Maybe it had not cured fully? It has an aroma that I just can't place my finger on, not a plesant or floral, I just can't describe it, but the honey is intensely sweet. When I use it in my coffee or tea it's wonderful and I find I can use about 1/2 the volume that I normally would if using "store" brand honey.

I plan to pull a frame in a week or two that is fully capped and see what flavor that has. I'm just curious if my "wildflower" honey may contain nectar from some unwanted flowers.

Default Re: Honey flavors and flowers to avoid.

yes, avoid almonds... you really have no control over what the girls bring in other than keeping the hives away from areas of large crop specific farming. such as canola, if the nectar is uncapped it is not honey, it is nectar, the bees do not cap the honey until it's moisture content is between 15 and 18.5%. once it is capped it is honey. until that point it is nectar, or sugar water if you have been feeding.

If you live in an area where bitter weed grows you will need to remove your surplus honey supers before it blooms. It takes just a little nectar or pollen from bitter weed to ruin a super.

I have heard ragweed also tastes bad like old gym socks

Thanks for the replies. I looked up bitterweed and see that it doesn't grow here and I've not seen those types of flowers either. I know we don't have almonds, but ragweed we do have. I'll make sure that I take off the honey before they start bringing in ragweed nectar and pollen.

I think I just may have jumped the gun and gotten a lot more nectar than I should have before it was cured into honey.

Does it matter? The bees never listen to me when I tell them to leave that goldenrod alone...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The right time to harvest the honey will very depending on how humid the climate is. Here in Utah we live in a desert and the honey drys out very quickly. I often extract a super when the frames are at least half capped. I have never had problems with honey going bad. I like to go through and pull off any honey super that is ready to extract in July. I then remove the remaining supers at the end of August. I have noticed over the years that the honey extracted in July is usually more mild than the end of summer honey. Occasionally, I will harvest late spring honey and that is mainly from dandelions.

Strong flavored honey (dandelions, wild mint, lavender and early fall wildflower)
    Mild flavored honey (clover and alfalfa)

Does ragweed actually produce a noticeable amount of nectar? I've only ever seen pollen collection, which shouldn't change your honey flavor much. I've been told sunflower is kind of blah, but I've never had a problem planting sunflowers all over the place. Buckwheat is very strong, but I enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_3rd View Post
    Is/are there flowers to just plain avoid that taints or makes honey unpalatable?
    One thing to potentially look for is if anyone in your area is growing anything poisonous.
    First thing that comes to mind is Monkshood/Wolfsbane. It can be found in some gardens as a decorative flower that grows in the shade. Everything about it is poisonous to humans (but not the bees), and there have been instances of honey being tainted by it and making people sick.

I just pulled off my early mesquite honey. If you wait for them to cap it off around here, there will start eating it and you lose the late Spring harvest or it crystallizes. As to poisonous plants - we have jimson weed (datura) that I have heard might cause problems - and oleanders, but I have never seen a bee on oleanders.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

How would you know what honey is from what plant?