Default foreign nest in brrod box

Today I found a nest of some sort in the brood box of an old well established swarm. I tore the nest and 2/3 of the old comb out. There was a small bundle of bees still in the box. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to do. I have three other hives and was wondering if i should take a frame or two out of one of these and put in the damaged one. This is an old hive that i would guess is over 40 years old andwant to try to save the swarm if I can. Any helo is appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: foreign nest in brrod box

It depends on how many bees are still there as to what you should do. Just a few, or is it enough to cover a few frames?
    Try it. What could happen?

Do you think i should take a couple of frames of brood from the other and put in the damaged one?

The nest was most likely a mouse that moved in over winter. Is there a queen, brood, laying workers with only drone cells? This time of year the hive should be booming, so since it's not something is wrong. Remember, if they don't have a queen and you add a frame of very young larva for them to make one, the hive will no longer have the genetics of your 40 year old hive.

Thank you for your help. I am not sure what to do. I didn't disturbe the bees that were in there yesterday so I dont know if there is a queen, or drone cells. I will check that today and if there is a queen I think I will move them to a new box and add a couple of new foundation and hope for the best. Thanks again.
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by sarahwilliams View Post
    Thank you for your help. I am not sure what to do. I didn't disturbe the bees that were in there yesterday so I dont know if there is a queen, or drone cells. I will check that today and if there is a queen I think I will move them to a new box and add a couple of new foundation and hope for the best. Thanks again.
    Sarah
    I see no harm in doing what you propose. We expand our knowledge and experience each time we try something new. Go for it. Make sure there is a queen in there before you disturb the other hives. Also look for worker brood, not drone brood. If you have a drone layer (meaning its a failing queen) don't bother with that queen. HTH

You might however, do just as well by the end of the summer taking those same frames from existing hives and letting them make their own queen. Personally, I'd be slow to move frames from the 'old well established swarm' into your healthy hives until I was reasonably certain there was no contagious disease or pest in there (mites or shb). Be sure you don't take brood disease or mites to your strong hives from that weak hive. Everyone isn't as concerned about this, just my two cents.
    Lee Burough
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Do you think i should take a couple of frames of brood from the other and put in the damaged one?
    That couldn't hurt. Still, the chances of survival of this hive is tied to how many bees are left in there right now. Let us know if there's a queen. If there is a laying queen right now, you probably have a good chance. Still, it won't hurt them to transfer some brood from another hive to keep the numbers up.

Is this a box of bees that was started 40 years ago? If so, I'm impressed. Are they treatment free?

Seems like Im asking more questions than the OP.
    Try it. What could happen?

Let us know what you find and how it works out.