Thread: Compressor

Default Compressor

Looking to get a new compressor. Nothing big, maybe 3-5 gallon tops with 125-125 psi rating. Would like quiet one. Anyone have any personal experience with this size that's on the quiet size?

Thanks!

Larry
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Default Re: Compressor

The bostich pancake compressor has a 5-6 gallon tank, kind of quit.

Just bought one of these guys. It looked like a pretty good bang for the buck.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_253750-70-C2...s&facetInfo=to
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

without a doubt, the little dewalts... you can run anything on them, and the last a lot better than a pancake type. get teh one with wheels for around 200. it will run anything you want including a frameing nailer just fine

I have that porter cable compressor, use it every day .No problems for three years.

When dewalt bought out emglo, they took a nicely built compressor and outsourced them to china. I won't buy them any more. My current favorite is a twin tank Quincy. Made in USA. It's a little heavy, a little noisy, but it's bullet proof and will last forever. If you are looking for quiet, the Rolair is the way to go. Check out a side by side comparison with a couple other compressors in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RxnPpa9OT0Y

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    that's on the quiet size?
    If you want a quiet compressor, do not get one that is oil-free.
    Last edited by ralittlefield; 05-25-2013 at 07:31 PM.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

I don't know about quiet, but for the price it's hard to beat the one I got from harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pancake...psi-60637.html

I got this one last year and built 100 or so frames and around 15 nuc boxes with it so far and couldn't be happier. I'm not a rich man so I can't afford the gold plated last the rest of your life models right now. I have to settle for what will get the job done and I can afford. I also bought the 20$ nailer/stapler and it's working just fine also. If I was doing hard construction every day and using a compressor and air tools then I would buy a higher level product that can handle the abuse, but so far the HF has done just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rweakley View Post
    I don't know about quiet, but for the price it's hard to beat the one I got from harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pancake...psi-60637.html

I got this one last year and built 100 or so frames and around 15 nuc boxes with it so far and couldn't be happier. I'm not a rich man so I can't afford the gold plated last the rest of your life models right now. I have to settle for what will get the job done and I can afford. I also bought the 20$ nailer/stapler and it's working just fine also. If I was doing hard construction every day and using a compressor and air tools then I would buy a higher level product that can handle the abuse, but so far the HF has done just fine.
    X2 on this one. Works great with the 18 guage air stapler / nailer
    Tom
    Tater Road Apiary

http://www.lowes.com/pd_292361-67702...ductId=3082383

Your biggest concern is how much you're going to use it and what youre going to use it for... so research oil-less vs. uses oil. I have one, two finish carpenters I know have them, mine is 2 years old with no problems, theirs are 10 years old with no problems after rolling around in the back of their trucks for years... I personally would never buy an oil-less compressor. Last time I was at Lowes this compressor was on sale for cheap.

It's quiet too, I use it in my basement all winter long.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Everything I have gotten from harbor freight has been a pos. I have then spent more buying something else. I realize that most of this stuff is made in china and you have to spend some coin to get American.

Just my experience.

I have the 26 gallon one from harbor freight (cheap red one) and use it all the time....air tools, painted a truck, nail guns, staplers....and for the money they can't be beat. Mine is two years old and holding up fine. I don't think it would hold up if you were running a service station with it but for the home shop it's fine.

Also the $19.95 brad gun/stapler works great....I have had more expensive ones in the past that don't work as good as the cheap one I have

BUT, if you want quiet, the harbor freight is NOT the one!

If you are getting a small one I would go with the HF one. They are all Chinese junk so might was well go with the cheapest junk. HF has the best extended warranty.

What CFM do you need for staple guns to sink a 1.5" staple? HF has a dual tank 2hp, 125 lb 3.5 CFM @ 90lbs on sale this month for 99.99. But I like the oilless 1.5 hp, 6 gallon 150 lb one. But that one only has 2.5 CFM @ 90lbs. Will that one do the trick? Only using this for casual work......

Thanks.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

It'll work. The cfm is more important when considering continuous use tools like sanders or sand blasters or even roofing nailers. One staple every 5-10 seconds will be fine. Remember thought that the oiless one will be considerably louder.

Lowes has good deals or tractor supply i use my pancake comp when building frames

I would go with an Oiled Compressor I have 1 of each and the the one that doesnt use oil runs hotter and is much louder. The small Pancake compressors are perfect for beekeeping purposes. Mine runs like every 5 to 10 minutes it runs up to about 125 PSI

Another vote for harbor frieght. I have the cheap pancake compressor, and the cheap staple gun. So far so good. Had it since last summer. The compressor is just big enough to keep up when I really get going on the frame jig.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Yep on the hf pancake...$49.95 plus $6.99 shipping ....wear earplugs if it's too loud....just don't paint your car with it

Get a Jenny or a Rolair. Change the oil once a year and it will last a lifetime plus!