Thread: Best Sellers

Default Best Sellers

Hello,

I'm planning on selling my harvest this year and would like some advice from people with experience selling honey. What type of jars sell the best? I.e. plastic vs glass, size, shape, color lids, etc.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Default Re: Best Sellers

I sale more 1lb plastic, I have tried 2 and 3lb with no luck. The 1lb is all I use now, I do tell them I can bottle what ever size they would like, one in 100 might want something larger.

Sales out of my house at this time. Quart jars. Walmart off brand jars cheaper. An smooth sides.
    David

We use 1lb oval (w/ ribs along the side glass jars, that come w/ a metal lid (small rubber lip on the inside of the top). We sell them in our on site farm market. I have had very few people want anything bigger and, once had some one ask about plastic because her young daughter likes to "squeeze" it out.

Oh and since we sell it in our store our labeling has so meet US Fair labeling standards. I also had to apply for a South Carolina Dept of Ag honey exemption. I have that because we sell direct to the consumer and we produce less than 500 gal a year.
    Last edited by Grizz270; 05-25-2013 at 04:16 PM. Reason: forgot to add

I have pint size mason jars (both Ball and Walmart smooths) and 12 ounce plastic. I sell more mason jars by far. Honey looks real pretty in them.
    I'm trying to decide whether to change to 1 lb for the plastics instead of 12 oz.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

My best seller have been 12oz plastic squeeze and 1lb plastic. I get great sales around the holiday season using 1lb Muth jars with a ribbon and hang tag.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

From home the gallon jugs and 3# plastic bottles sell the best. From the farmers market the 1# plastic and the Pint jars sell the best.

The 5 pound pour jug is my best seller.