Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honeysukle

Default Honeysukle

Bees are bring back a very dark brown substance on there legs , could it be honeysuckle . Do they carry both pollen and nectar on there rear legs .

Default Re: Honeysukle

They carry pollen on their legs (and on hairs around their body too), and nectar in a kind of stomach (not really a stomach because its not part of their digestive tract).

I'm not sure what colour honeysuckle pollen is though - someone had posted a handy link in here of a site that one could search to find different pollen sources in their area, but silly me I forgot to bookmark it

My understanding: Nectar is carried internally, pollen in saddlebags. Not sure about propolis. Take a look at this page to see if you can identify a pollen source that is appropriate to your area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source. I've been seeing lots of interesting pollen colors lately. On my end, lots of grey-blue pollen. The blackberries are in bloom. Earlier I saw red, blue, orange and yellow.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

They do not carry nectar on their legs. Only pollen. Around here we have bush honeysuckle and the bee's seem to ignor it. Some will say the bee's use it. Others will say they dont or cant because the tongues are long enough. It might be a location thing. Maybe up here right now they have to many preferred blossums to bother with it

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    bush honeysuckle
    Is that a native azalea?

My guess is the dark stuff is propolis. They carry propilis in the pollen baskets.
    Our bees work honeysuckle furvorently.
    Dave

here is a quick video I took, our bees love honeysuckle

BushHoneysuckle1.jpg
    Our bush honeysuckle is a evasive species

It does look like there hitting the honeysuckle , it is big bushes in the fields.

We have this kind of honeysuckle ...I can't tell if the bees are in them .. http://stillcoloringoutofthelines.bl...neysuckle.html

Better link: http://www.pnwflowers.com/flower/lonicera-ciliosa

Some folks around these parts call native azaleas, "honeysuckle bush." That's why I asked. What you posted a picture of is definitely not a native azalea.

I think you mean invasive. Unless the plant actually gets up and runs from you when you try to get rid of it. Which would be awesome by the way. Anyway, looks like Japanese honey suckle. pretty invasive here in New Jersey too. Climbs on everything.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 06-02-2013 at 12:15 PM.

That looks like what I have here in PA. the bushes get huge if you let them go , is it a good source of nectar or pollen .

It's got enough nectar for you and I to suck out, but not sure if it's obtainable for the the bees or not. I wouldn't consider it to have a lot of pollen though. But take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by rnsykes View Post
    I think you mean invasive. Unless the plant actually gets up and runs from you when you try to get rid of it. Which would be awesome by the way. Anyway, looks like Japanese honey suckle. pretty invasive here in New Jersey too. Climbs on everything.
    I knew that looked wrong when I typed it.

Isn't it fun to film Honey bees,,,never go where you think they will,,,but you did a good Job.

From what I've seen with my bees, they work bush honeysuckle pretty good, they don't seem to care for the vining type though. I went to one of our bee conferences and the guy giving a talk was talking about how soil types affect how attractive it is to bees. The brown stuff your seeing may be propolis, bees will carry it on their legs too. I'm no expert but it seems that's what I read somewhere.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

I wonder if whether they can work honeysuckle depends on the variety of bee? I read that Carniolans can work clover better because they have longer tongues--maybe they can work honeysuckle and Italians can't?

Whether or not bees can work honeysuckle depends on the particular flowers. Many of the bush types have shallow enough flowers for the bees to reach the nectar, but the only time I've seen them working the vining stuff we have (Japanese honeysuckle) is when a bumblebee has cut the flower to get to the nectar.

The pollen on ours is white or off white, and the bees do collect it, but almost never the nectar. Plenty in there, but the bees tongues are about half an inch too short to reach it.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast