Hybrid View

Default Seasonal Allergies & Honey. Opinions?

Ok, so what is everyones opinion on taking local honey to help with seasonal allergies? I'm sure everyone and their mother has heard that taking honey daily will help build a tolerance to pollen. There are however no published studies on it, and many who say it's foowy.

One train of thought is that "it's these tiny pollens carried by the wind and not carried by bees that tend to be allergens.". While I agree with that, it's also fair to say that those tiny pollen spores contaminate everything around. Seriously.. I've looked at my truck and wondered when it's turned from blue to yellow. So my "opinion" is that there are still spores from allergen plants in the honey and pollen collected, regardless on if they are just a wind dependable plant.

So... What do YOU think?

Default Re: Seasonal Allergies & Honey. Opinions?

I think that pollen inhaled can cause an alergic response (obviously). Pollen digested in the gastrointestinal tract is destroyed, and I doubt that intact allergens are absorbed into the blood stream to build any immunity. I'm not a doctor, but I have seen one on TV I just don't see how eating it could help.
    Once the bee is inside, Mr. Veil is no longer your friend.

As bees fly their wings generate an electrostatic charge. This is what causes pollen from the flowers to stick to their bodies, which they then comb off and store in their baskest with their legs. Pollen on the wind should also collect on their bodies as well, though probably to a lesser degree.

As for the Inhale vs. Digest, it's about getting the body used to the protiens from the pollen via whatever route they enter. The body will encounter some of it before it breaks down in the digestive tract.

In my opinion local for allergies is foowy as you put it. I tell my customers that a couple of beekeepers got together and tried to come up with a way to sell more honey and there you have it.
    No Scientific studies
    No group studies
    No placebo studies
    I just let them know that when people say local honey helped with allergies that all they are really saying is that RAW HONEY helped their allergies without knowing it.
    I am sure you will open up pandora here but I don't think any beekeeper can truly prove otherwise.

I'm a believer - maybe not in local honey per se but raw honey mitigating some of my allergy symptoms. My mother and I both normally have springtime allergies - hers more the sneezing kind and mine more the sinus headache type. Neither of us have encountered either symptom this year, which is after eating quantities of our own raw honey daily since last August. Its too early to say, perhaps, but it certainly has been a promising spring.

Ha... You're most likely right about opening the box. This seems to be one of those topics that brings up blunt opinions on both sides.

I should have clarified that I meant raw instead of just "local". Both filtering and heating the honey would in my opinion mitigate any possible advantage of the honey even remotely helping with allergies.

Well, even if it's not scientifically proven, it seems that many say it does. But then, that might just be Psychoantisomatic.