Question upper entrance / inner cover

Hi , I am interested to hear what types of top entrances you all use and inner covers.
    Other than drilling holes in boxes what other methods is there for top entrances ?

I have a 1.5 " rim made for the tops with an entrance in front and no inner cover , but the bees keep building burr comb everywhere, I am assuming that I will just have to rid the hives of the rim and put on inner covers.

Thanks
    Ben
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Default Re: upper entrance / inner cover

I build all my own equipment and have for so long I am not exactly sure the specifics of factory equipment these days. One side of an inner cover is taller than the other. I cut a ” section of the rim out on the end, not the side, which I place in the front of the hive. I find this has multiple uses. When I build my telescoping cover I mane it ” longer that what most manufactures sell. However the stock cover will work also. Early in the year or when I do not particularly want the upper entrance. I slide the outer cover rearward tight against the hive this blocks off the cut out and secures the upper entrance. When I want the bees to have access while building comb, I leave the cut out up and slide the outer cover forward. This allows the bees access to the upper super without going through the entire hive. While at the same tine keeps proper bee space above the frames. Thus the bees are less inclined to build a bunch of burr comb. When I want easy assess for the bees to the comb for storing nectar I flip the inner cover, and keep the outer cover forward this allows the bees to enter the super directly above the frames they do not have to wander around the inner cover they can deposit their payload and be back out in short order. If a robbing situation should ever arise all I Have to do is slide the outer cover rearward and close off the upper entrance. Now for an extra feature I have “ blocks glued to the inside rear of my outer covers tight against the vertical edge. During those sweltering days or any time I feel the need for extra ventilation I slide the outer cover forward. Then lift the rear. And slide it forward another ” this gives a gap all the way across the back as well as the entrance in the top front. Maybe not perfect. But it has worked great for me.

I've recently begun sliding the top box back for an upper entrance. I slide it just enough so that the bees can get in the front but not the back. But i'm still waiting to see how the bees like it.

Yeah I like to build my own things as well, I was just trying to eliminate inner covers because it's just 1 more thing I have to make. But it looks like I will have to get some more plywood or osb and start ripping some covers out. what is a good thickness , 3/8 or 1/2 ?

I was trying to find a canadian place to buy those entrance discs that turn for different closure sizes and I don't know where to get them , I know i saw them somewhere , but can't remember LOL

Ben
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

I build a simpler version of this, as I do not cut the side vents. It is nice for feeding and insulating the hive and is less work (but more wood) than making a standard inner cover.

http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/stor...ver-p-232.html
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.