Default Greetings from Oregon City, Oregon

Thought I'd stop in and introduce myself.

This is my first year with a hive, and hopefully I'll have a few more in the next couple years. I installed a package in an eight frame deep on April 8th and things appear to be progressing well. The inner six frames have been drawn out. Lot's of larvae and new bees hatching, and a good 25% of the upper part of the frames are white capped honey. I added a second deep a couple weeks ago but so far the girls aren't too interested. I'm thinking of pulling it off and using a honey super instead, but I have a lot of reading to do here before I make that decision. I know we're not supposed to expect much the first year.

I have some questions, but I'm sure they've all been answered more than once, so I'm going to read first and ask later

Default Re: Greetings from Oregon City, Oregon

Welcome to Beesource!

IMO, good practice would be to wait till the bees have filled approximately 80% of the frames before adding another box. This would apply regardless of whether you are adding a deep or a medium.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Thanks Rader. The deep is close to 80%. It's only 8 frames and six of those are full. Frames 1 and 8 are being worked on now. My dilemma is whether to do a honey super, or grow the colony with another deep.

Welcome to the site!

Welcome fellow Oregonian!

Welcome Bryan!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Portland Metro Bee meets right there in Oregon City at PCC on the second Thursday of the month. Maybe see you there. I am already committed to work that evening.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)