Default No Drip Valve Question

How tight does this valve need to be on a Maxant tank? Is hand tight enough? You folks who have Maxant tanks, how did you tighten this valve? I was never a good plumber. Just purchased a new tank and the valve only wants to turn a few turns by hand before it tightens up. Did not know if I should put a wrench to it or not.

Default Re: No Drip Valve Question

Put some water in the tank and see if it leaks. If it leaks, it needs to be tighter.

I'm going through the same thing right now with a new Maxant tank. I tried to tighten it down to get it straight and it got so tight, it was going to bend. I went back the other way to straight and it leaks a little honey now????

Ok, I called Maxant and its either lean on it with a wrench or use some pipe dope on the threads to seal it. I'm going to try pipe dope since I have too far to go with turning it (with wrench) to get it straight.
    Last edited by Titus; 05-23-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: update

Tirus, Sounds just like mine, I could make about 4-5 turns by hand and then it would get tight before it was straight. I was afraid to try a pipe wrench, thought I might mess up the valve. I tried a rubber filter wrench but was unable to turn it up straight. Finally got a couple of my construction friends to help. We were able to get two filter wrenchs on and get it straight. Hope it never has to come off. Ha!
    Thanks for the reply.