Default new from ohio need help pleadse

Me and my husband just started bee keeping as a hobby but we had a slight problem when installing our bees everything we read and watched showed the queen having a candy coating on her box well she flew right out before we actually installed her what should we do???

Default Re: new from ohio need help pleadse

Welcome to Beesource!

If your queen flew out of the hive during installation, there is a small possibility that she might return to that hive, but don't plan on it. I'd contact the package vendor to see if they can offer a replacement queen, possibly at a reduced price.

If you only have that one hive, you will need to find a new queen somewhere for the colony to survive, but you do have some time to make the arrangements. If that is your only hive, consider buying a second hive. Depending on what is available, you may be able to get an additional queen with a second hive. Once you have two hives, problems similar to this can likely be fixed by using resources from the other hive.

If you haven't joined a local beekeeping club yet, now would be a good time to do so. You may find that a club member may be able to help your situation.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

It's perhaps too late now. I have had it happen quite a few times myself and she will return more often than not. I would suggest leaving the lid off for 20 minutes or so and then checking back a few days later for evidence that a queen is laying.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I will email them thank you

so there is a chance she might come back? It happened so quick that it took us by surprise and since I am new will it be hard for me to tell if she is laying and it isnt a worker laying?

Yes she may well be in your hive. Pretty good chance that she landed back on something that might carry some familiar smell in the immediate area, hopefully it was your hive, I have seen them land back on their queen cage more than once. I don't know your time frame here but if you are several days post installation and you know how to look for eggs I would say that should be your next step before thinking about a replacement queen.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Welcome TT!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to the site and good luck. Your queen cage didn't have a white candy plug in one end behind the cork? Did you open the "cork only" end?

It will take a few days or weeks before a worker will start laying eggs. Hopefully some one who knows the number of days will let you know. Try googling it and reading to find out.

Welcome, what part of Ohio are you in?
    Dan

Greetings from another new beekeeper in Ohio! We live down towards the southern end of the state.

I'm sorry to read of your rocky start to beekeeping. I hope the queen has come back or that you've made arrangements for a replacement by now.

As Rader Sidetrack suggested, it would be a good idea to join a local association if you haven't already. The Ohio Department of Agriculture has a link to a page of county beekeeper association contacts. I also recommend the Ohio State Beekeepers Association. The OSBA is hosting their summer conference on June 1st in Cambridge, Ohio. They have an impressive line-up of speakers scheduled. The OSBA website also has some great videos for new beekeepers. Check it out!

If you live anywhere near Circleville I know from experience that the Scioto Valley Beekeepers Associationwould welcome you with open arms.

Regards,
    Tom