Default Second cut-out dead. Can FLIES take over and kill the brood.

The second cut-out I did from a water meter has just been proven a failure. My first is doing well, but rebuilding slowly. When I went to inspect the hive two weeks after I put the comb and bees into from my second water meter cut-out, I found very few live bees, maggot infested brood and no sign of a queen or bridging. The hive had been jarred or tampered with because some of the comb i placed had covered the entrance. I am concerned that the bee vacuum should have been emptied because when i dumped the bees from it looked like many were dead even though they were starting to fly before I closed it up. Next time I will dump the bees from the vacuum before I transport them. There were a lot of dead bees and no sign of life around the brood comb. I had to clean it all out and tip it over to get it ready for another package. It's tough trying to save these cut-outs. I wish I could catch a nice clean swarm so it could produce good comb and a strong brood. I am also going to put down fire any poison around all my hives from now on.

BTW, I just threw the old dead brood on the ground. I figure nature will ake care of what's left. Any ideas on this? Should I bury it or will the buzzards clean up what the maggots don't?

Default Re: Second cut-out dead. Can FLIES take over and kill the brood.

Unfortunately, you've just learned a very nasty lesson that I learned last year...in the same way (I lost 2 hives though). Those "maggots" are most likely SHB (Small Hive Beetle) larvae. If you put more comb into a hive than you have bees to fully cover & protect, the SHB will take over & your bees will eventually abscond .

Because of those guys (and the RIFA), I now only keep up to 4 combs (max) out of any given cut-out. I make sure to get some eggs, some pollen, and at least some traces of nectar, in the 2-4 combs I keep, then all of the other combs get tossed. I figure it's better to set the bees back a bit on construction, than have the hive get overtaken by pests & end up dying off/absconding on me.

As for the SHB larvae packed combs, I'd build a really, REALLY hot fire, and watch those suckers BURN! lol

The reason I believe it was fly larvae (maggots) was because of the overwhelming presence of FLIES. Now that you bring this up, it could have been both since there were big fat ones and small skinny ones and the death of some of the bees. I can actually burn the hive since it cost only $10 to build. Should I? Is there anything else I can do to use the hive again? Are you talking about just burning the brood comb?

I'm just talking about burning the SHB larvae (so yes, just the comb). The burning's not necessary to enable you to use the hive again, I'd just burn the combs with the SHB larvae and/or fly maggots to keep them from surviving to adulthood & causing a new infestation somewhere else...your hive should be fine to re-use as soon as all the nasties have been cleane dout.