Default New beek, New TBH, New Package...so far it all looks good, but a Q???

First time poster, but been doing a lot of reading.

Installed package on Mon the 13th 2013, queen cage didn't have a candy plug so I used parts of a marshmallow . I also tied up some starter brood comb I purchased from Goldstar Honey Bees.

So far the bees seem happy, their feeding and about 1/2 way through the initial jar of sugar syrup. They are clumping (not sure the technical term) around the queen cage I hung and about 3 additional bars and starting to chain down from them. They have removed the dead bees and debris that fell in when I installed them, also some of the marshmallow so I assume the queen is free, so they seem to have an interest a clean hive which must be a good sign.

But, the starter brood comb fell down, not sure why, weight of the bees or they pulled it on purpose. They were very interested in it and started to fill the cells where it was lying on the bottom of the hive. I decided to remove it as I didn't want them to get the wrong idea of building comb down there. I figured that was the right thing to do....thoughts?

IMG_5186.jpg
    IMG_5192.jpg

Also has anyone put a wifi web cam in their hive? I plan on adding one shortly. I'll post a link when ready.

Default Re: New beek, New TBH, New Package...so far it all looks good, but a Q???

Be sure to cover the lens with a replaceable piece of lens plastic, just incase they muck it up.

Default Re: New beek, New TBH, New Package...so far it all looks good, but a Q???

you have a wifi web cam that will film in TOTAL darkness?

My TBH has an observation window which will let light in. But yes the camera has infrared to film in the dark, at least that's the plan.

Based on some quick searching and reading its my understanding bees cannot see red or infra red. Can anyone confirm?

Infra red should be fine, and they don't mind a bit of light in the hive, mine has a screened (open) bottom so its low level day light all day pretty much.

Being in Australia, I'll be putting a bottom board on this weekend as winter is finally here so they could use a warmer home.....

Quote Originally Posted by praxis178 View Post
    Being in Australia, I'll be putting a bottom board on this weekend as winter is finally here so they could use a warmer home.....
    Thanks for the confirmation and good luck. I'm a Melbourne boy living in Boston (or just outside) and would never have thought to keep bees 7 years ago when I was living in OZ.

Where do you live?

1st Full Inspection after one week. The bees have drawn 5 bars comb from full to just getting started. They are storing pollen, the queen has started to lay eggs which is a good sign, but no cells have been capped...we'll have to monitor. We also found the queen on the comb which is a very good sign.

http://contour.com/videos/watch/top-...eek-inspection