Default Hello! New from Wisconsin.

Hello, all. I've been lurking on this forum for almost a year now, and I'm so grateful for everything I've learned so far. I installed my first two packages on April 30 into two top bar hives, and it is hard not to take a peek into the window everyday! Fascinating little creatures. Anyway, I look forward to being more of a member of this forum now that I officially "have" bees.

Default Re: Hello! New from Wisconsin.

Hi Elisa! I am over near Stevens Point, about an hour away from Appleton. Where did you get your bees from? I got my packages about the same time (a couple of days later than you) from the Gerdts family at Honeybeeware in Hortonville.
    The little fuzzballs are so interesting to watch, I don't have a window (I envy you that!), but I walk the dog out to the 4 hives several times a day to see what the bees are up to. We have lots of dandelions, and the apple trees here are flowering - its fun to see what the bees bring in on their legs, and I'm much more aware of what's flowering in the area than I've ever been.
    Anyway, welcome - and I look forward to hearing how your top bar hives work this season!

Hello Elisa
    I am another new beekeeper just a skip hop and a jump north of you.
    Installed two nucs last Fri. and can't wait to see what they have been up to.
    Joined the Brown Co. Beekeepers assoc. They meet in Green bay and have web site if that something you might be interested in.
    Good Luck with your bees!

Welcome Elisa!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome Elisa. Good to hear from you.

Hi, Chris! Glad to know there are friends in the neighborhood! My bees came from a guy named Henry in Red Granite (toward Wautoma). I have a couple colleagues who keep bees, and they ordered my packages for me this time. I knew of Honeybeeware, and Hortonville is closer, so next time I'll probably order from them.

Hello Elisa! I moved from Appleton to Fla almost 4 years ago. I always wanted bees there, but living in the city, as you know, in town no bees. Or has something changed? Anyway, Appleton was my home for most of my first 50 yrs. I worked at Theda Clark for 19 yrs. Feels strange to see the name of my hometown in the forum. Welcome! I'm starting my 4th year of beekeeping. It was one of the first things I did after I moved here. Joined the local club and a few months later got bees. I won my first bees at the club meeting raffle.
    Welcome! Bees are great!
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Welcome Elisa,

My wife and I are new to beekeeping this year.

Lucky you to have a window to peek in!

For us to see the bees we need to take off the covers.

Just a little bit west of you and we also bought from Henry

Steve

Congrats on winning your bees! That must have been pretty exciting for you. Good motivation to get all your gear together.

Appleton hasn't changed, per say, but I would say we are slowly changing. Last summer a bee ordinance was introduced to the City Council - they voted it down after quite a fight. So still no bees in town. Same with chickens, for what it's worth. However, this winter Riverview Gardens (previously Riverview Golf Course) requested and was granted a variance to install 25 hives on the property. Combined with the handful that Lawrence University has onsite, we've now got around 30 hives smack in the middle of downtown neighborhoods. It is only a matter of time until people realize that we don't have roving swarms of honey bees hunting down unsuspecting pedestrians.

In the meantime, Appleton is not a large berg, and the city limits are never more than a 15 minute drive away (less for me). I'm blessed with curious friends with extra space.

Welcome to the site!