Default Main Flow and Dearth

I understand the concepts but how do we know what or when each of these are? And are there do's and don'ts that go with each one? And are there more than one each season? Thanks for the information, I read about these times and is sounds like everyone else has them in some sort of context.

Default Re: Main Flow and Dearth

People that talk about honey flow timing also have experience. One of the side benefits of beekeeping is that it makes you more aware of your surroundings. You will start to notice things blooming that you never noticed before. Since you are in Newberg I'm pretty sure that your main flow will be blackberries, but you will probably have a weaker flow now.

I have bees to the south of you in Elmira and bees north of you in Camas. In Elmira the flow started a week or so ago and most hives have a super of honey right now. In Camas (1200 feet in elevation) I have a weak flow and did put honey supers on to keep the brood nest from being backfilled, but my flow won't start for another couple of weeks. After blackberries, unless you live next to a clover field or something, the flow will be over for the year.

We pull supers around July 15 in Elmira and August 1 in Camas. Record times each year in your area and when certain plants start blooming you will know that it's about time for supers.

Default Re: Main Flow and Dearth

The reason they are always used in context is that they are very specific to your area, down to your neighborhood, depending on flora and microclimates. But local beekeepers in your area could give you a pretty good idea of what happens in your area.

One "don't" is that if you have a dearth and your bees get "mean" don't assume you have to requeen--they just get very irritable when they are hungry and bored because there is nothing to forage on. Feeding them for 3 days before you do a hive inspection helps them forget they're in a dearth and makes them easier to work.