Default capped queen cells and laying worker?

Went to check on one of my new packaged hives today. Found some beautiful capped queen cells, they had lost their queen some how, maybe killed her as her laying pattern was horrible. On the next frame over, I saw cells with multiple eggs in them, anywhere from 1 to 3. A few of the cells had single eggs standing straight up, and I thought I had seen a queen cell that was opened. I should say it has been 3 weeks since I saw the original queen, but have been putting frames of eggs in since, so maybe this was an old cell that the queen didn't mate correctly? This was the only frame with any eggs on it in the hive.

Why would workers start laying if there are eggs constantly being put in there and queen cells already started? If by some chance there is a queen that is laying, is it common for them to start laying multiple eggs in a frame (I've never seen it) and why wouldn't she have killed off the other queen cells?

Thanks for the advice.

Default Re: capped queen cells and laying worker?

yes a newly mated queen that has just started laying will often lay two or three eggs in a cell for a few days until she gets it all figured out. That could very well be what you have going on

Why would there still be a bunch of nice fully capped queen cells then? That's what has me going, "hrmmmmmm...."

unless the new virgin queen killed all the others in the cells and the workers have failed to chew them out and clean them up?

I agree that you probably have a new queen, leave it alone a few days for her to get going properly. If you're still in doubt add another frame with eggs.
    Dan