Default Newbie-please tell me if this looks OK?

Does this look right? Can anyone see eggs in any of these cells? I installed my package on Mother's Day- the queen was released a week ago because the bees had almost gotten to her through the candy, but she was still in her cage, so I helped them by opening up that candy for them and putting her cage back in the hive.
    Yesterday I looked for the first time since releasing her, but could not find the queen when I inspected. I may be missing her because I am brand new to this. I did not see any eggs, but again may be missing them- I looked online last night and saw that people said taking photos of the cells often helped, so I went back out today and took some pictures. I am just attaching a few to get your opinion. Also, what is that bump that is on the 4th picture? It appeared overnight.
    beehive 5-24-13 1.jpg beehive 5-24-13 2.jpg beehive 5-24-13 3.jpg beehive 5-24-13 4.jpg beehive 5-24-13 5.jpg beehive 5-24-13 6.jpg beehive 5-24-13 7.jpg beehive 5-24-13 8.jpg beehive 5-24-13 9.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: Newbie-please tell me if this looks OK?

the queen is on the second pic at the bottom.

Thank you so much!!! I was looking and looking and couldn't find her. As soon as I read your message I went back and looked and there she is! So exciting!! Now I am relieved!

It happens to all of us,

Picture four looks to have a queen cell on it though, so you have eggs at least. Check again in a week and look for capped brood (the cap looks abit like felt, matt and like it should be fuzzy but isn't).....
    Last edited by praxis178; 05-24-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling

yes the queen is in pic two

I can't see eggs or larva, doesn't mean there are none, I just can't be certain from the pics. The bump you are talking about appears to be a supersedure cell.

I think they don't like the queen and have decided to replace her possibly.

I think I see some eggs in the top part of picture 5 - the second row below the finger on the right hand side (the viewer's right) looks to have some eggs, but it could be the camera angle. Definitely check that in a week or so and you should see larvae curled up, plenty fat to see by that time. The queen cell is a supercedure cell - some bees will chew these back down I hear, may not be an issue keep an eye on this though. Awesome pic of the queen in #2!

You have some nice pollen coming in, which is a sign that they're prepping for rearing some serious brood

Good luck thanks for sharing. Gotta love the bees!

It look like the queen is laying in the pic.

That "bump" is a queen cell cup. Quite normal for a hive to have several of those just in case. I take it you are feeding them? Seems as if most of the cells are filled with nectar, pollen and sugar syrup. If so, you may want to stop to allow the queen to lay in empty cells. If the cells are not available for the queen to lay this is known as a "honeybound" situation. They queen may take off and take the rest of the hive as well.
    The queen is a real beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by mcauth View Post
    I think I see some eggs in the top part of picture 5 - the second row below the finger on the right hand side (the viewer's right)
    All I see is a reflection off of the nectar. If you look at what appears to be eggs and compare the difference in the cells, the "egg" shifts to the left (looking right to left).

I couldn't see eggs or larvae.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...