Default Please advise on early spring management/split

I made a split (my first) on April 5. Two frames of eggs, larvae, brood, two frames of supplies, shook in some extra bees. I checked it today (April 28) and found no queen and no sign of any queen.

The hive from which I took the split is spilling over with bees again and has all the frames once again drawn out and in use. There are a couple queen cells and one definitely has royal jelly in it. I put a super on it for now.

My question: is it too soon to declare my initial split a failure? I was thinking of grabbing that frame with the good queen cell and putting it in my split, but the queen was on the frame. How long should I wait until I nab one of those queen cells and give it to my split?

My plan is to make splits all year long. I have one hive and two nucs and I'd like to get up to around 10 total hives this year.

Default Re: Please advise on early spring management/split

Bump

Your split can still be good, there may be a virgin in there that has not mated, or has not started laying yet if she has mated.

It would not do any harm to add that frame with queen cell that you were talking about. Just check it in a week to see if you have eggs or not yet, and if you do, then destroy any cells you find.

It sometimes takes 28 days or so for me to get eggs from a split. It's normally sooner, but sometimes it takes longer.

Good luck with your goals of increase this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    Your split can still be good, there may be a virgin in there that has not mated, or has not started laying yet if she has mated.

It would not do any harm to add that frame with queen cell that you were talking about. Just check it in a week to see if you have eggs or not yet, and if you do, then destroy any cells you find.

It sometimes takes 28 days or so for me to get eggs from a split. It's normally sooner, but sometimes it takes longer.

Good luck with your goals of increase this year.
    Thank you. I will take your advice of adding the frame and then checking again to make sure. I'm going to keep at it until I figure this out!

Just wanted to update: I wound up making another split from the same hive. The donor hive threw off a swarm anyway. I checked today and, after I had all but given up, both splits have laying queens! Thank you all for the advice and encouragement.