Default Entrance reducer.

At what point do I need to take off my entrance reducer or make it bigger? I have a standard reducer that came with my hives. Also I have a screened bottom board. When should open the bottom up for ventilation?

Default Re: Entrance reducer.

The simple answer is to open things up when you see multiple bees fanning in the entrance way during the day or large groups hanging out on the outside of the hive at night or when you see foragers piling up outside waiting in line to get inside

It depends on how many pests you are comfortable running through the front door, including robber bees, small hive beetles, wax moths, yellow jackets and wasps. Bees will also sit outside and fan when processing nectar. It has nothing to do with temperature control, but humidity in that situatiion. Bees are very adept at traffic control and prefer a smaller entrance in nature.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

One of the members in our local club never changes the entrance size from the smallest setting. He has 11 hives this year. His point is that Bees in nature use a small hole for colonies in a tree, so why change it from what they know.

When I see congestion at the entrance and bees having to wait even 1 second to get in to the hive to drop their load, I multiply that by 60 seconds x 60 minutes x 12 hours of flying and figure I'm losing 43,200 seconds of foraging every day--so when they are foraging heavily, I make sure it is wide open.