Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wax foundation... Arrrrgghhhh!!!

fuzzy - I LOVE experiments like yours. I started off with wood and wax and then tried plastic and now - nearly 40 years after I started - I'm back to wood and wax. I don't care what or why others are using. Crazy Roland also makes an excellent point. Who would want to burn plastic? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
    'Natural" beekeeping doesn't use foundation.

we are in southeast kansas and have no trouble with foundationless frames. simply run a bead of melted wax down the top bar as a guide and install. if you want some plastic frames let me know because we have tons of it at a great price or trade. southeast Kansas.

I live in the heat of Mississippi, and my favorite combination is wooden frames with plastic foundation. Here it seems to be the best of both worlds. I use the black plastic foundation. The bees have no probs drawing it out after I add another coat of beeswax, but I love the handling better of the wooden frames.

I can't use plastic or styrofoam in my hives. I don't have any idea what those things are really made up of, and I have no idea how any of it might be affecting the bees. Not that it does have any adverse effects - I just can't get my head around it. Wood and wax seems to me to be the simplest.

However, I was working with a friend who uses plastic, and to watch him pop in 20 frames of foundation from the back of the truck in about 60 seconds while we're at a yard really impressed me.

There's no doubt that each thing has its benefit.

Adam

Beesource helps me all the time! I have been trying to decide which foundation to use ( me with 5 hives and one year into beekeeping.). A search led me here and Viola! Choices! Many choices. Seriously, thanks Beeks for the discussion. Right now? Wired wax with hooks and wire.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

I hope this is still on topic but, I used bobby pins for support for decades until last year. I found out they cost MORE than support pins now! If I am wrong please let me know.

"I hope this is still on topic but, I used bobby pins for support for decades until last year. I found out they cost MORE than support pins now! If I am wrong please let me know." Moccasin.

Wire and pins or just pins?
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Foundation preference:

I use Pierco, Ritecell, PF120, beeswax starter strips, beeswax with vertical and horizontal wires, foundationless, and probably others that I am not mindful of at the moment. I have experienced many of the difficulties with each, that are commonly expressed in various forum threads. I have also experienced the positive sides to most of these options.

Here in Tucson, Arizona, where we regularly have daytime temperatures well North of 100F. Beeswax foundation, if not immediately placed on hives with sufficient bees to properly attend to those frames of foundation, will certainly wilt, sag, and buckle in their frames. Plastic foundation/frames with finished combs, especially those that are black, will melt down and fall off the plastic foundation surface, in just a few minutes of exposure to our ambient daytime temperatures and direct sunlight. Working colonies that aren't protected by deep shade is quite a challenge, for both the bees and the beekeeper. I've even had some plastic frames/foundation sag and buckle in our temperatures.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 06-13-2013 at 10:45 PM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by julysun View Post
    "I hope this is still on topic but, I used bobby pins for support for decades until last year. I found out they cost MORE than support pins now! If I am wrong please let me know."
    Here support pins cost 7 cents each, in lots of 500. Bobby pins at Dollar Store cost 1 cent each, in lots of 100. If you use 2 bobby pins vrs 2 support pins you save $1.20 per super.

cchoganjr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12