Default Do You Think These Will Work For Top Bars?

As I said in another post, I scored a ton of cedar 1x1 off of Craigslist. Some of it has a grooved channel down the middle--I'm assuming it was meant to be decorative. The groove does have a "triangled part" in the middle, though it is flush with the surface--it doesn't stick out any. From what I've read the whole idea is to give them some sort of guide and where to start the comb--do you think these grooved bars will work? They are 1 1/2 X 1 1/2, so I'm thinking to rip them in half and then try to use them.....Whaddya think?

Pics below.....

topbar3web.jpg

topbar1web.jpg

Default Re: Do You Think These Will Work For Top Bars?

Couldn't hurt to give it a shot! I would try beading or rubbing some wax in there first though, no?

I've noticed that the bars I have without popsicle sticks aren't as straight as those with. They're still straight, but just not as straight as the others.

If you ran them across a router table & took the sides back to where they're flush with the most inset part of that decorative inset, then maybe that bead would be enough to *encourage* them to build in the right direction....1-2 good, straight combs would prob. help 50x more tho