Default My Bee Grabbed a Beetle and Took it in the Hive

This evening I was watching my Top Bar Hive entrances and saw a beetle landing on the alighting board. A bee grabbed it and pulled in in the hive. Is that normal?

The hive is a 7 week old top bar hive. It appears to be pretty strong, we have had great nectar and pollen since I installed it and it has 11 bars of comb, 7 are 80%+ built and has had tons of emerging brood. I inspected the hive just yesterday and that is the first beetle I have seen. I suspect that the bees will put it in jail before it can lay eggs, but is that normal? I would have thought a guard would have grabbed it and taken it elsewhere. I was surprised to see it captured and taken inside the hive. Any insights on this behavior?

Default Re: My Bee Grabbed a Beetle and Took it in the Hive

Bizarre. Taking it hostage, and asking for ransom money?

That's a new one! I hope the beetles don't have some previously unrecognized ability to win over the good guys to their evil schemes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wolff View Post
    That's a new one! I hope the beetles don't have some previously unrecognized ability to win over the good guys to their evil schemes!
    Actually they have. I found this paper from online Univ of Arkansas....." The beetles have developed the ability to stimulate the mouthparts of worker bees with their antennae, similar to drones begging for food, and are able to trick their guards into feeding them.
    This behavior allows the beetles to survive in confinement for extended periods. Opening hives for inspections may free the beetles from their confinement."

http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publ...F/FSA-7075.pdf
    My blog and website: FromtheHive.org

I knew about that, but the idea that the beetles might be able to trick the bees into also putting out a "welcome mat" disturbs me.

why would they feed them, that makes no sense?

My guess is your bee just grabbed the SHB to try and sting it like they normally do. But, they rolled inside the hive as they were wrestling. I don't think she intentionally pulled it into the hive. I have witnessed a bee grab a SHB and fly off with it away from the hive. But, I'm sure the beetles just fly back.

Steve is right the beetles have learned to beg for food and the bees will feed them. But, as long as the hive stays strong they will keep them confined and not let them run loose in the hive free to lay eggs.

Today I opened up a nuc and saw a SHB on the underside of an empty bar in the back of the nuc. There were a few bees on the bar too so as I tried to smash the beetle I wasn't that efficient because I was avoiding the bees. I got the head but it was still moving. One of the bees went after it and seemed to be trying to bite it on what was left of its head. She didn't try to sting but instead looked to be biting, then she took the beetle off the hive. I've seen them go after SHB and try to sting them but this is the first time I have seen a bee try to bite one. Has anyone else observed this? Maybe your bee was doing this same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    why would they feed them, that makes no sense?
    Geneva Convention. You have to feed your prisoners.