Thread: New Queen

Default New Queen

My bees superseded the old queen. We had 8 capped queen cells last weekend, many have hatched. There were a few more that weren't hatched as of today. I saw a large queen that appeared to be mated. She was trudging along like a queen does, but I didn't see many attendants. She was DEFINITELY a queen. I don't believe she's started to lay yet. I tried to get a picture of her, but I has having camera trouble. I think I may have captured her here. Towards the upper right part of the comb. Her head is hidden. Do you think that's definitely her. If she's mated, she could possibly have a few more mating flights to do, correct?? Should I see her laying by the weekend. Do you think she'll be *the* queen?? I didn't see any others, but I would have a hard time spotted a queen who wasn't mated.

Default Re: New Queen

In the supersedure process, the old queen doesn't have to be missing. When both mother and daughter are co existing, it's called an "efficient" supersedure.

Walt

This is definitely a new queen. I didn't see the old queen during two previous inspections, and no larva has been laid in the past week.