Default No new brood, queen cells?

A friend and I went to check his hive today and are concerned that we saw numerous what we think are queen cells and we don't think we see any new brood. The hive is a year old. He put a queen excluder and a medium super on it about two weeks ago.

We were wondering if one of you guys can take a look at these pics and share your thoughts? This is my first year to have a hive and he is going on his second so we're still learning!

Here are some pics (the first seven are a new hive he started 10 days ago.) The rest are from the hive we are worried about: Pictures

Thanks a bunch!

Default Re: No new brood, queen cells?

I suspect they have swarmed. I saw one open cell (the large one built out from the center of a frame).

You were about a month late on that super, I think.

The hive will probably be fine, but I'd do a split into a nuc with some of those frames with queen cells, easy way to get a new hive going. Will help reduce the pressure to have afterswarms, too.

Peter

That makes sense. He felt like the hive was short some bees and it was drawing out new comb slower than he had anticipated.

Thanks!

The queen cells on the sides of the frames...do they still have a larva in them? If they are empty, I would say you have probably had a swarm and the new queens has already hatched and they should have everything worked out and back to normal fairly soon. If this is the case, I would not split with the remaining cells because they have likely already been killed in the cell and just not cleaned out yet.

If those queen cells that are open have larva and have not been capped...Then it would be a great time to split as soon as they are capped.

Either way I am pretty sure the swarm is already gone with the "old" queen.