Default Help with new split in progre

I have a colony that survived over the winter from a package that has done very well. Right now it is in Two 10 frame deep boxes full of bees. It is getting pissy when I open it up compared to my others. So I wanted to make a split and add a new queen so I wouldn’t be set back as long .
    I just opened the hive and I couldn’t locate the queen so I shook off most of the bees on 3 or 4 frames of capped brood to make sure I wasn’t getting the queen with the brood I then put the frames into a new 10 frame box with Two frames of capped honey on the outside and a couple of drawn empty frames further in. with the brood in the center.
    I put a queen excluder on top of the double deep after replacing the stolen frames with some drawn out and bare foundation and put the new 10 frame box on top of the Two boxes separated with the queen excluder
    My question is how long do I need to wait for nurse bees to move up to the new box before I take it off and introduce a new queen? Would I need to shake any more bees later into the new box?
    Should I move the new 10 frame single deep hive 70 feet away or put in right next to the parent hive in a double deep? I thought if the Two boxes were a different color and size I couldn’t swap them for drift control?
    Sorry for the long post

Default Re: Help with new split in progre

The nurse bees will move up pretty quickly and you should be able to make your split in a couple of hours. If you can, wait over-night, you aren't going to hurt anything by waiting.

It doesn't matter how far that you move the split. The bees that have started flying will return to the parent location. Five feet is as good as fifty.

It is hard to say if you will have to shake more bees later. It depends on a lot of factors. Keep an eye on how many frames you have covered with bees.

Try facing it a different direction then the parent hive too, it may help to re-orient some of the bees.

Thanks for the tips. I just pulled the new box off of the queen excluder after Five hours The new box appears to have a lot of bees that moved up from the lower boxes. I can see bees on all Ten frames I only have the boxes about 4" apart on the hive stand. I am going to wait until sundown about 3 hours and introduce the new queen cage in the hive and hope the split works. I wish I could find the queen easier but with a strong hive a few stings and bees in your face I get overwhelmed