Default Many dead bees in package

I just got my bee package and there was about 1 1/2 inch of dead bees at the bottom. Is this bad news for the colony? The queen was alive so I went ahead and installed them. I purchased insurance on shipping so I imagine that, if they dont make it, I can get a new package. If they do make it, though, ill be starting out with a significantly smaller colony. Will this be a problem? Should I contact the company to see if there is anything they can do about it or do I need to wait and see if they make it?

Default Re: Many dead bees in package

I'm not sure the insurance on shipping will cover a failure after they have been installed. I have made an insurance claim on queens that they lost in the mail and were dead when they arrived about 8 days after they were initially shipped. I opened the package in front of the post man at his counter and he saw that they arrived dead and helped me fill out a form. It took many months before I received a refund.
    I don't know how you could attribute a failure after they are installed to their packaging or transport and not some other factor.
    Good luck with your new hive It sounds like they have as good a chance as any!
    D
    DsBs.Etsy.com

I will be surprised if "insurance" pays out in your case, even if all the bees eventually die. I would report the situation to your vendor, and see what they say. But don't hold your breath!

Since you have less bees than expected, be sure to give them every possible advantage. Continue to offer them syrup until they stop taking it.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Thanks guys. Hopefully they will survive! I waited about 10 months for them so it would be a bummer if they don't! Im currently feeding them with a large (4 gallon?) top feeder. I was originally going to feed them with the bottle that inserts into the opening as I was worried that many would drown in the top feeder but, alas, the bottle feeder doesnt fit into the opening with the entrance reducer in place. Should I be concerned at all about losing bees to the top feeder?

You should be fine. thats more dead than you like, but the vitality of the ones left are more important. Feed them well. A lot of packages are sold as 2lb and they do just fine also. as warm as it is now you shouldn't have any real issues.

i just cut the entrance reducer to allow for the feeder. then i just use both pieces of the reducer for winter. works fine

I got a package from BWeaver last year like that. I took pictures and emailed them to BW and got a new shipment. For me they went past requirements for good business!
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.