Wink First Inspection A Couple Of Obsevations

I had installed three packages on May 7 and UN-corked the queen three days later. I went in Saturday to see if I had a working queen, which I did. I had eggs and larvae. Nothing was capped which I believe would be mathematically impossible given the fact that I removed the cork only eight days prior. The funny part is that since then the bees have been much more active, noticeably so. They move about the entrance more deliberately going right in and out, no dilly dallying. The other thing is there are way less bees on the feeder which is on the inner cover inside an empty super. They just are not clustered there at all like before. Is this a coincidence or did we give them a boot in the butt?

After reading Michale Bush's I now understand why he recommends starting a package in a nuc box. I bet if you can confine the brood nest to a smaller area that they will have to concentrate in that area and not spread out over 10 frames building comb that can't be used for a while. I wish I had taken an hour or so and built a 4 or 5 frame box. it wouldn't take much effort at all and I bet the bees would develop much quicker. I have a lot to learn.

Just a couple of observations from a 60 year old newb. All in all a very exciting day seeing the queens were working. Gary

Default Re: First Inspection A Couple Of Obsevations

A 3 lb pack is a tight fit in a nuc box. You can reduce the space in your 10 frame box with a divider board if you want.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    A 3 lb pack is a tight fit in a nuc box. You can reduce the space in your 10 frame box with a divider board if you want.
    would it be too late at this point? There were at least three frames maybe four with little or no wax on them.

Not at all. They will likely draw it out faster in a narrower space. You can make the divider board out of plywood and just remove a frame and put the divider in its place restricting the colony down to 5-6 frames. Do the same thing in the second box and give them the space back as they need it later on.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.