Thread: Research Ideas

Default Research Ideas

Hello,

My name is Joe I go to college in NC and have relatively recently become obsessed with beekeeping! My school's research farm has two langstroth hives (vestiges of its past) which, along with a faculty advisor (quite experienced), I recently claimed. He Caught a swarm and hived it and then split the hive.

Both hives are happy the original already has 1.25/2 shallows full of liquid gold and the split has alot of capped brood. I am very excited to say i was just giivenPermission to do research on them this upcoming fall semester.

I wanted to open the floor to any ideas for potential research questions you guys may have. Anything that you haven't had time or money for (nothing to crazy) but would be interested to Learn more about.

I have a few ideas on testing the true effectiveness of some colloquial verrora treatments but that's it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Default Re: Research Ideas

Most research needs more hives so that "treatments" and "controls" can be compared. With two hives I think you are mainly learning how those two hives operate, or in research terminology, doing case studies. Careful observation such as von Fritz did may open up some doors, if there are elements of bee behavior you want to observe more closely. What you may (unintentionally) prove is that bothering the bees too often is counter-productive.

Pollen Identification vs honey filter size, kind of a side issue with imported honey vs US (in this case NC species) honey. What pollen is removed with what size filter?
    Not really a hive study but could be done with the resources that you have.

Solving CCD and the neonicitinoid debate would be worthwhile.

- Nah, just kidding.

What UTvolshype said would be a great idea, with your resources.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Joemama985 View Post
    Hello,

My name is Joe I go to college in NC and have relatively recently become obsessed with beekeeping!
    ONE OF US

Quote Originally Posted by Joemama985 View Post
    I wanted to open the floor to any ideas for potential research questions you guys may have. Anything that you haven't had time or money for (nothing to crazy) but would be interested to Learn more about.

I have a few ideas on testing the true effectiveness of some colloquial verrora treatments but that's it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Joe
    Yes I do think to be useful in testing varroa treatments you really need more colonies. In the meantime, I'll try to think of a few things. Give me a bit.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

Quote Originally Posted by UTvolshype View Post
    Pollen Identification vs honey filter size, kind of a side issue with imported honey vs US (in this case NC species) honey. What pollen is removed with what size filter?
    Not really a hive study but could be done with the resources that you have.
    Get your colonies built up to stabilize the genetics. Then study the various chemical compounds in wax to find out what poisons/ chemicals toxins the bees in their environments store. That would required bees to built their own wax. That information would show if environmental factors are related to CCD, possible carcinogens in environment, neocotinoids, other issues. Just my thought