Thread: Stung by a bee

Hybrid View

Default Stung by a bee

Any thoughts on what is good for the swelling after a bee sting? Was stung yesterday on the fleshy part between thumb and first finger. Whole hand is swollen and up to my elbow. Never had this happen before. Thanks

Default Re: Stung by a bee

Thats a really bad reaction. Any other reactions? Vison? Hearing? Pulse?
    Take benadril?
    You could be getting allergic

An apitherapist told me that that is "great swelling" (a local reaction that when it stays local is not an allergic reaction)............aka the popeye arm. The venom will need to work out of the area and heat can help with that. Make a cloth rice bag (uncooked rice). Heat it up in the microwave just a little bit and apply. As long as symptoms stay local, you do not have to worry.

Swelling seems to be worse usually in areas that are not as fleshy where it absorbs some of that "look". A finger or forehead will show more obvious swelling as opposed to a thigh as there is not much area for the swelling to go. Circulation increases in areas that were stung bringing more blood, oxygen and the chemicals the body releases naturally to deal with it. There is more fluid in the stung area, therefor swelling.

As a person gets stung more over time, they usually develop a sort of immunity to the venom meaning less swelling and less itching. The more time between stings, the more likely a person reverts back to swelling and itching.

One more thing about apitherapy........when a person starts it, it may take a week or two for them to show what is called "great swelling". Apitherapists like to see great swelling sited locally as it is a sign that bee venom therapy will have a good result for that person.
    Last edited by Bee Bliss; 05-20-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added a few words to first sentence to clarify

I used to, as until this year, have pain for a couple days with big swelling followed by days of itching. Took my first sting of this year last week and had pain for a couple days, big swelling but no itching at all. So, and understanding it is only one person's example, I would say you have no allergic reaction issues, just a sensativity to it that will probably lessen over time.

I took Benadryl last year after getting a few stings. Put me to sleep but did nothing for the symptoms. I am just letting nature fix me now. By the way, managed to get hit 30 times one evening last year and had nothing but topical effects.

remember to take you're rings off before working the bees.
    Dan

I'd suggest, unless allergic or something, you take some Zyrtec and Zantac. Both are antihistamines that work on different receptors. It may help with the inflammation and such.

The first sting of the new season is the worse. After that your body (usually) can handle it. I got stung on my wrist and had a similar reaction, hurt for several days. Then Saturday evening I got stung on my earlobe (it looked like I had a Big grape stuck to my head) but very little pain on Sunday, and today I hardly feel it.